INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting FLAC to OGG during synch creates audible artifacts  (Read 3287 times)

pianissimo84

• Recent member

I am new to MC as I am considering various software options to help manage a large music collection ripped to FLAC format. I have a 30GB portable player (iAudio X5) I would like to store as much of that collection as possible as OGG files. Here's the 2 problems I have encountered while using the synch option (manual mode) to convert and store onto the portable device:

1) I would like to maintain my own custom directory structure. Using the data/ option is close but it still manages to insert extra sub-directories according to album on the portable device. This would wreak havoc on any playlists I might want to build later since the PC directory structure and the portable directory structure won't match. How can I 'force' the adherence to my directory structure short short of selecting individual files?

2) Most of the OGG files created during this process now have audible artifacts like skipping and other noises not present in the original FLAC files. I am using the most current FLAC encoder and decoder plug-ins.

Other than these concerns, I really like the interface but will need to resolve these issues before I buy a license.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Regards,

Rob.................

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Converting FLAC to OGG during synch creates audible artifacts
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 07:14:00 am »

It's probably the ogg encoder.  Try a higher bit rate, or default settings, or MP3.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 08:33:25 am »

2) Most of the OGG files created during this process now have audible artifacts like skipping and other noises not present in the original FLAC files. I am using the most current FLAC encoder and decoder plug-ins.

Actually, it is possible that your ogg files have occasionally too high bitrate for your portable. Many portables have problems with high bitrate ogg files. If you used a high bitrate setting you could try this custom setting instead: -q 4. It has a nominal bitrate of 128 kbps and it already produces great audio quality. ("-q 4" is between the Normal and Normal/Low in the standard MC options.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

pianissimo84

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 03:32:42 pm »

I haven't heard anything like this playing back OGG files created from other sources even at maximum bitrate.

FYI, I selected multiple directories and had them 'stacked up' to let them run overnight. I thought it might be possible that procees interuptions might have caused the glitches. Any thoughts?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 04:07:39 pm »

I haven't heard anything like this playing back OGG files created from other sources even at maximum bitrate.

FYI, I selected multiple directories and had them 'stacked up' to let them run overnight. I thought it might be possible that procees interuptions might have caused the glitches. Any thoughts?

I doubt that can be the cause of this problem. Encoding is not anything like real time video or audio capturing. Encoders do not continue without processing every incoming bit. It should not matter if the computer is occasionally more stressed somehow.

Would you like to do a little test? It would be very useful for the JRiver developers.

First download this ogg encoder version: Oggenc2.83 using aoTuVb4.51 2006-04-26. Unzip the package and rename the oggenc2.exe file to oggenc.exe.

Then make two new test encodings. Reconvert one of the problem files from the original source FLAC file. First with the default encoder and then with this new encoder. (Just replace the default eggenc.exe file in the [MC program path]\Plugins folder with this new encoder version. Don't change anything else.)

Try both files directly with MC and with your portable. Can you hear any problems?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

pianissimo84

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 04:18:27 pm »

I'll try it out. It may take a day or so since I'm not home much this week.

Any suggestions on how to fix the other problem of directory mirroring?

pianissimo84

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 04:23:05 pm »

One other useful point; I know it's not a player problem because files I created on another local network drive played back via MC also had audible artifacts. I set up this network drive as if it was a portable player and converted an entire subdirectory. Many of the files thus created exhibited this problem.

I will compare the results of these 2 encoders and report.

Rob...............

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 04:33:39 pm »

I'll try it out. It may take a day or so since I'm not home much this week. ...

One other useful point; I know it's not a player problem because files I created on another local network drive played back via MC also had audible artifacts. I set up this network drive as if it was a portable player and converted an entire subdirectory. Many of the files thus created exhibited this problem.

Thanks. Also, post your System Info from the MC Help menu and the used encoding settings.

... Any suggestions on how to fix the other problem of directory mirroring?

As far as I know, the folder structure can be based only on the library tags. It might help if you could explain what you are trying to accomplish. Is your current system based on any reproducible rules? Could you post a few example folder paths?

pianissimo84

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 06:02:53 pm »

The following is the Sytem info:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Media Center 11.1.183 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2390 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1039 MB, Free - 582 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive E:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: SAMSUNG  CD-R/RW SW-248F    Addr: 2:0:0  Speed:357  MaxSpeed:357  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive G: LITE-ON  DVDRW SOHW-1673S   Addr: 3:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

pianissimo84

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 06:09:26 pm »

As far as I know, the folder structure can be based only on the library tags. It might help if you could explain what you are trying to accomplish. Is your current system based on any reproducible rules? Could you post a few example folder paths?

/Classical/Beethoven/Album1

/Classical/Album2 {where I may not have more than 1 album by that artist or a compilation}

/Rock-Pop/ArtistA/Album1

The structure is fairly consistent but cannot be reproduced by the library tags alone for a variety of reasons that would take a while to explain.

pianissimo84

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 06:49:18 pm »

The newer encoder also introduces skips. I have the encoder set to manual (-q 5). Without doing a large 'scientific' sample, it seems that the artifacts are fewer and not as obnoxious, but still there.

Rob.................

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 08:12:16 pm »

Try converting to WAV, just as a test.

pianissimo84

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 09:24:56 pm »

Try converting to WAV, just as a test.

Skips and other noise here also. That seems to implicate the FLAC decoder? The version is 1.3.0.0 dated 5/26/2006

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 09:26:54 pm »

Try reading the FLAC thread on the Third Pary plug-ins board here.  You may be using an old one.

pianissimo84

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 10:33:09 pm »

Looks like I was using an older version. So far, so good w/ this one.

As to the directory question, I can probably live with /Artist/Album but how do I prevent the creation of 14 directories when MC encounters a Various Artist album w/ 14 artists? So far, that's been the biggest annoyance. Unfortunately, the Options>Handheld>Files&Paths selections are not sufficiently documented in the help file to be of any use.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 06:49:09 am »

Check the options for Tools/Library Tools/Rename Files from Properties.  Please start a new thread with a different subject if you need more help.  I'll close this one now.

Good to hear FLAC is working now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up