INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server/Center running prevents reboot  (Read 1397 times)

shstevens

• Recent member
Media Server/Center running prevents reboot
« on: June 01, 2006, 06:25:58 am »

Love this software so far.  Registered it within 5 minutes of trying it in fact.  I have one little issue I am hoping to get some help with.

If I have "Media Center.exe" as a process running, I cannot shutdown or reboot my PC.  If I kill that process either manually or forcefully there is no problem shutting down.  I have seen this in several versions.  It is 100% correlated to this process at this point.

Currently Running 11.1.183

What other information could I provide to possibly help diagnose this problem?

I have tried searching on reboot, but have found no relavant information yet.  I apologize in advance if I am asking about a known problem and I will continue searching.

Thanks,
Shawn

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Server/Center running prevents reboot
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 06:45:41 am »

That's not a known problem.  What OS?  You could copy your system info from MC Help and paste it here?

Anything special about the way you start MC or Media Server?

shstevens

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 07:25:04 am »

WinXP Pro.  Here is my config as requested.  I just upgraded to 11.1.185 and still see the same issue.  I start Media Server via the icon created during install.  I have also tried by putting the command line for that icon in the run key in the registry.  It is the process of Media Center.exe that is the issue I believe - not just Media Server in case that wasn't clear.  If I am running Media Center (and not server as well), the problem is the same.  I can't shutdown/reboot.

Config:

Media Center Registered 11.1.185 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2991 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2095 MB, Free - 1613 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive Y:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive Z:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: PIONEER  DVD-RW  DVR-110D   Addr: 2:0:0  Speed:15  MaxSpeed:15  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive F: PIONEER  DVD-RW  DVR-110D   Addr: 2:1:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Thanks,
Shawn

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 08:07:56 am »

Since it isn't a common problem, I wonder if it is related to something like a firewall or a network card driver.

Try turning off the server plug-ins to see if that makes a difference, but leave Media Server running.

shstevens

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 08:28:36 am »

I don't have a firewall running (I am a network engineer and am behind a real one).

I have the TivoServer plugin running - the main reason I purchased the software.  I will try turning that off...

Shawn

shstevens

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 08:30:16 am »

Bingo - if i shut down the TivoServer plugin it reboots/shuts down just fine.

I hope I can provide enough information or encouragement to fix this as it is 95% of the reason I bought this software :^)

Let me know if I can provide you with anything else.

Thanks,
Shawn

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 08:54:16 am »

I am curious. Why do you want to shutdown/reboot the PC when Media Server is running? Do you do that constantly? I think you can make a script or bat that closes Media Server first if necessary. (Or do you mean that you cannot close Media Server at all?)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

shstevens

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 09:06:29 am »

If i have to reboot my machine, i just don't want to have to go into Media Center to shutdown the TivoServer or shutdown Media Server.  I forget it is running when in server mode.  Sure, I could shut down the program before each reboot - it is what I do now, but I was hoping to have it work like most other Windows programs that receive a shutdown notice and exit gracefully before reboot (as does the main App - it is just the TivoServer that is causing the issue).

Shawn

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 09:38:08 am »

This seems to be a problem with the TiVo Beacon (which comes from TiVo, not from us, so I can't fix it). When we are connected to the beacon, it tells Windows it won't shut down.

j

shstevens

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 09:42:44 am »

Is there anyway for MediaCenter to shutdown the Tivoserver when IT senses a shutdown?

Thanks for the investigation John,

Shawn
Pages: [1]   Go Up