INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Recording Vinyl  (Read 1632 times)

tedm

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Problem with Recording Vinyl
« on: June 16, 2003, 10:11:06 am »

I have been recording my old vinyl records, using the "Split Track Option", but I am having difficulty with the beginning of each new track.  Even when there is susbstantial dead sound on the vinyl between cuts, when it records, there is a merging of sound from the previous track and cutting off of sound in the next track.  The same thing happens whether or not I've selected the "Trim Silence from Gaps" button.  Has anyone had a similar problem?

Ted Martin

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problem with Recording Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 10:15:07 am »

so like what is the full version number of the program your using?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

tedm

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 05:17:05 am »

Sorry for not including that information.  Here it is: Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.393

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 11:07:35 am »

Check out the "Line-in recording tips" which is under the Help menu on this web page. If you're losing quiet sections of the tracks, first try adjusting two things:

1. Recording volume. Did you use the "Auto" volume adjustment test? Even if you've done that on a loud section of the music, you can try increasing the volume somewhat.

2. The "Maximum gap level" parameter. Try decreasing this a little at a time until you get the whole track. If it starts to merge two tracks together (no split), it means you may have dropped this level too low. For an LP, I wouldn't think you'd want this less than about 5% unless you have extremely clean LP's and a high end turntable/pre-amp.

By the way: make sure you're not running the output directly from your turntable into the sound card. It has to go through a "phono" type pre-amp first.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

tedm

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2003, 02:43:15 pm »

The problem is not that I'm losing quiet sections of tracks or that it is not splitting the tracks.  This even happens when I manually split the tracks by clicking on the "split track" button.  What I've noticed is that, whether I split the tracks manually or use automatic track splitting, as I start the recording process with the beginning of the vinyl record, it first gives a message "Waiting for sound", then it changes to "Recording sound" and the time counter gets up to about 3-4 seconds and then it goes back to 1 again.  The same thing happens at the end of each succeeding cut.  This would seem to account for "skipping" at the beginning of each track in the recording.  When I play it back after recording, as the first track is about 10 seconds from the end, it indicates that it's buffering and then it begins to fade and there's an overlap with the next track, and there's also a "skip" of a couple of seconds at the beginning of the second track.  This happens even when there is much silent space between cuts on the vinyl.  It almost seems like it's operating under the option to "Trim silence from gaps", but I definitely have not selected that option.  

I have already tried your suggestions many times regarding the volume and the maximum gap level, as well as changing the maximum track length values, and no matter what values I use, I continue to have this problem.  Also, I am going from the turntable through a pre-amp and then into the sound card, and the quality of the recordings is quite good.  My only issue is this problem at the beginning of each track.

I'd appreciate any ideas you might have.
Pages: [1]   Go Up