INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few more issues with Playlists on Tivo Server  (Read 3540 times)

Link

• World Citizen
  • Is that some kind of Eastern thing?
A few more issues with Playlists on Tivo Server
« on: June 07, 2006, 04:16:46 pm »

1) In one of my playlists of 250 songs, I had one file missing. (I moved it manually - forgot to tell media center).  When playing pack over Tivo Server, playback stopped when it hit that song in the playlist.  I had to go to my pc to clear that song from the playlist and resume playing.  The server had an error about not being able to find the file as expected.  What I would prefer is for the server not to totally stop in this scenario, but rather just print the error in the log and gracefully move on to the next file in the list.  Saves a trip to the computer room....

2) I have another list of 10 albums worth of world music artists - some ape ripped, some mp3.   I have conversion enabled.  I can listen to all of them fine on most occasions.  However, last night I was about 2 albums into listening when I decided I wanted to hear a different artist.  I skipped thru about 15 tracks on the TV interface until I saw a track I liked.  That track played fine.  However, when it finished, it appeared to freeze.  The track info was on screen for the just completed track (time fully elapsed), and the server displayed no errors.  It just didn't want to advance to the next track.  I manually advanced to the next track, and it played fine.  However, it would then stop in the same manner at the end of that song.  When I exited out to a different playlist, it worked just fine.

3) Shuffle behavior appears curious.  I have a playlist of the "Modern Rock 500" (500 top altenative tracks that makes for good background music.  However, when I selected to shuffle playback, it seemed to repeat many of the tracks - after only about 1 hour, it had already repeated 5 songs - not very random at all.

Other than these minor issues - I love what you guys have done..... Thanks for all the hard work!!!

John

EDIT - This was on MC version 11.1.185

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: A few more issues with Playlists on Tivo Server
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 09:48:22 am »

Hi John

1) I think this is a TiVo issue, not a server issue. It's up to the TiVo to ask for the next song and it doesn't.

2) I think you somehow switch from playing the whole list to playing a single track - again, the
TiVo is in control and doing what it thinks is right.

3) Are you using the TiVo shuffle or are you shuffling on MC - or both? Confusing things happen when you do both.

j

Link

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 10:14:45 am »

1) Understood - This was just a "Nice to have" anyhow - as long as the library is clean, it will never be a problem.

2) I'm not sure about this - all I do is skip forward a few tracks.  And when I play one song at a time, it returns to the tivo screen with song info. In this case, it stays on the "playing" screen, looking like it would if you had paused it right before the end of the track.

3) This was only shuffling on the Tivo (my wife selected the option on screen - she gets confused if she has to try and set anything up on the PC - I try to make the TV interface easy to use with just a few selected playlists at the top level).

Thanks for the responses....
John

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 10:36:43 am »

2) I'll give it a try, see if I can figure out what's happening.

3) Is the list being played a smartlist with random sorting? That could cause the strange behavior you areseeing.

j

Link

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 03:31:31 pm »

2) Thanks.

3) Not a smartlist.... Just a playlistlist of 500 files in one directory.  I'll poke around when I get home to see if anything else screwy got set.

Thanks,
John

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 11:31:00 am »

I can't reproduce 2. Any clues on how I might do it? What buttons are you pushing on the remote?

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up