INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unexpected bevaviour with pause and previous  (Read 954 times)

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
Unexpected bevaviour with pause and previous
« on: June 07, 2006, 05:35:22 pm »

I'm not sure if this is an issue or not, it feels wrong, but I can't fault the logic of why it happens

(my options for seek and switch tracks are both set to gapless for this)

Play any track
Seek to halfway though
What happens now is it continues to play the remaining buffer and then switches seamlessly to halfway through
Ah, thats's not exactly what I want - I expected it do move to the new bit now, not some random time into the future

Now....
Pause the track, because of a phone call [optional, you can get a coffee instead if you like ;D]
Drag the sllider to the start of the track (because that phone call took longer than you expected, or you've had way too much liquid  ;) )
Start playing it again

So, now what happens is
The track starts playing from where you paused it for as long as the buffer is, then moves to the start of the track
And all the while the trackbar slider is in the wrong place as well

Now, I understand why this happens, and that really I should stop the track and them click play, but it just feels wrong
If the trackbar is moved while paused I really think it should behave more like stop-move-play

On the other hand, is a general issue with 'gapless'?
Should gapless play the rest of the buffer, or just move immediately?
After all, your buffer can be up to five seconds long and that's not really my idear of 'gapless' - my idea of it is that it's immediate with no audio clicks, glitches, other anomalies or the trackbar showing the wrong position

The trackbar bit is just bizarre, although, showing me what I will be listening to in 5 seconds time is kind of reassuring
I mean if it knows that in 5 seconds time i'll be listening to a particular track, all I have to do is listen to music 24 hours a day and i'll never die  ;D

Does this make sense or have I got one of those 'can't get that song out of my head' experiences  ?

[after reading my post i've decided to take a long term stay at the closest mental heath facility]

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Unexpected bevaviour with pause and previous
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 06:34:45 pm »

Reduce your buffering in Options > Playback

One half of a second is the default.  New computers can use even less.

This represents the latency between issuing a command (like seek, switch tracks) to when the transition (gapless, crossfade, etc.) can kick in.  It sounds like you're using a very large value.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 07:09:59 pm »

Reduce your buffering in Options > Playback

One half of a second is the default.  New computers can use even less.

This represents the latency between issuing a command (like seek, switch tracks) to when the transition (gapless, crossfade, etc.) can kick in.  It sounds like you're using a very large value.

Usually I use the lowest buffering possible, but i was exploring the limits - not really
sure why, but i like to see the how and why's
As an amateur programmer it interests me to see the reasons behind the implementation

(one jpg editor actually let you set it's memory usage so low you couldn't open the menu's )

What I'd expect is that you'd start buffering, then as soon as you'd buffered enough to start playing it should immediately start playing the new track (or track position)

It looks like when you seek, you change the file you read into the buffer, and just continue to play the contents of the, buffer regardless of the size of the buffer   So basically you are just adding data to a circular cache?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 11:32:50 am »

Pick "Standard" instead of "Gapless" for seeking.  This will seek immediately. (instead of worrying about maintaining a perfect gapless transition where the sound card has an audio sample for every clock)

Seeking while paused has been tuned in a future version of MC, but not 11.1.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up