INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC changes iPod name in iTunes  (Read 1063 times)

squiggy

MC changes iPod name in iTunes
« on: June 09, 2006, 07:34:13 am »

I'm having a problem...I use both MC and iTunes. After using MC with my 60gig video ipod, closing the program, then starting iTunes. The name has been changed to generic "iPod". I go back to MC and the name is fine. What's up? Thanks

prod

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Play nice
Re: MC changes iPod name in iTunes
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 03:38:35 am »

i'd recommend not using the two programs together - if you have to load up itunes make sure your ipod isn't plugged in. it's not that anything terrible happens, i've just had a bit of problem with it (itunes) scrambling the database (on the ipod) so i get incorrect cover art showing up when playing back (again on the ipod). the two applications seem to happily co-exist, it just seems to cause minor issues when they're both trying to control your ipod.

as to your question, i think the way MC works is that it takes the unique ID/Serial# of your ipod, then stores the name you enter in it's own database - so the name of your ipod never exists on the ipod itself, just in MC's own config/database. that's why itunes doesn't pick up on the name. i'm assuming this not just cos that seems the best way to do it - but because even if you do a restore of your ipod (which wipes everything), MC remembers the name of it.

SwellGuy

Re: MC changes iPod name in iTunes
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 03:49:22 pm »

Thanks for the response prod - you're spot on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up