INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Family Database for Media Center  (Read 913 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Family Database for Media Center
« on: June 13, 2006, 02:46:15 am »

I am always interested in the ability to keep the database separate from user specific data and am curious if Media Center has any features for doing so.

Basically, the index of files, tags (which can't be stored in the files), etc. should be stored separately from a unique database of playlists, play counts, stats, and ratings.  The problem is that my family all shares the same music, videos, and images and we can easily rescan to add new files but, at least on the .mpg files from my still camera, I don't get the extra tags in the other databases.

Also, at the very least, is there a feature to watch folders?  This would be a good solution since even Media Center in its current state is still the bet product I have seen by leaps an bounds--happy to support the product!

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Family Database for Media Center
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 03:51:30 am »

Each user can have his own library - thats possible in MC ... would'nt that solve the problem?

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 09:25:54 am »

But a library contains the index of files.  Imagine if I rip a CD on my account and my sister opens her library later.  It doesn't know I added music because her library is separate.

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 01:20:20 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up