INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flac encoding complexity not staying  (Read 3129 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Flac encoding complexity not staying
« on: June 13, 2006, 10:00:18 am »

I try changing the FLAC quality setting from the default of 6 and it doesn't stay.  Other setting changes also don't stay.

Now, is the best and most likely to succeed method for ripping to not encode on the fly and not have anything else running while encoding?  I need to do it RIGHT once and for all.  One song I had to rerip because of noise at the beginning--I can't check every song for perfection!

benn600

Re: Flac encoding complexity not staying
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 10:18:39 am »

I installed the plugins right from mcplugins or whatever online (linked from Flac page under Media Center==Plugins) and now it works.

scthom

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 02:45:52 pm »

There was a bug where the settings weren't being read correctly from the registry (it's now fixed). If you get the latest plugins (the one's here at MC should be OK, but the latest & greatest are always at the Sourceforge site) it definitely works.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 04:40:06 pm »

I've been having problems trying to install FLAC.

I wanted to install from the Soundforge page to assure getting the latest plug-ins.  After the download, when I double click either the ENC_FLAC.mjp or IN_FLAC.mjp files, I get the message in MC:

Failed to install package
More Info: Destination file is in use

Then it lists some temp directories.

MC is not open when I double click on the mjp file.

I did get the install to work from the MC plug-in page, however, I could not play back the files that I converted to FLAC.  Maybe MC thinks they are documents, I'm not sure.  I wound up uninstalling the plug-in to try again, but still get the same error message.

benn600

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 05:21:06 pm »

I got the same error when I was trying to install FLAC to Media Jukebox.  Make sure you have the latest version of Media Center and it should work.  You can also go to the plugins item under the menus and install from there.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 05:37:32 pm »

I'm using MC 11.1.186 so I don't think the problem is because of an old MC version.  System info posted below.

It seems that the encoder is available from the MC plug in page, but not the decoder.  If the decoder is what can take you back to a WAV file, then I consider that a necessity.

Does the zip folder have to be in a certain place?  Also, I still have MC10 on my machine, could that cause a problem?

Media Center Registered 11.1.186 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2385 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 125 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive D: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-240B   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F: ATAPI   DVD DD 2X16X4X16  Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: SAMSUNG  CD-R/RW SW-240B    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive F: ATAPI    DVD DD 2X16X4X16   Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 07:03:31 pm »

It seems that the encoder is available from the MC plug in page, but not the decoder.  If the decoder is what can take you back to a WAV file, then I consider that a necessity.

The decoder plugin is essential. Besides reading and decoding the files it also handles tagging. You cannot encode files that have tags without the decoder plugin.

Failed to install package. More Info: Destination file is in use
Does the zip folder have to be in a certain place?

The location should not matter. Did you actually unzip the file? XP can see inside zip archives, but I am not sure if this mjp file works with unzipped archives.

Also, did you try to to disable your antivirus scanner?

I think you could simply put the In_FLAC.dll and Enc_FLAC.dll files in the [MC program path]\Plugins folder and try to install with the Plug-in Manager.

Also, I still have MC10 on my machine, could that cause a problem?

When I tested MC11.0 and had MC10 installed too, MC11.0 tried to use some of the plugins from the MC10 program path. After that I recommended to uninstall MC10 before installing 11.0. However, I have not tested the behavior recently.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 10:28:26 pm »

Alex, thanks for your suggestions.

This one worked:
I think you could simply put the In_FLAC.dll and Enc_FLAC.dll files in the [MC program path]\Plugins folder and try to install with the Plug-in Manager.

The double clicking on the mjp wasn't working no matter where the file was stored.  I did have the zip decompressed.  Also, it turns out I must have uninstalled MC10 awhile back but due to some left over folders, I was thinking that it was still installed.

scthom

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 08:40:55 pm »

Putting the files in the plugins directory is the most straightforward.  If you check the mjp file that's really all it does.

The registration is handled by MC, the mjp file doesn't do that directly.

I sometimes get the same error if, e.g. MC crashes but still has the plugin open.  Typically killing that process fixes the problem.

In any case, it sounds like everything works now.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 10:07:23 pm »

Yes, everything is good now.

I think benn600 was giving me the right advice, but I was interpreting "install from there" as clicking the "download plug-ins" link, which is what the dialog box tells you to do.

For others that may have the same problem and see this thread, what worked for me was moving the In_FLAC.dll and Enc_FLAC.dll files into the plug-ins folder, then pressing the Add Plug-in button and selecting those files.

Pages: [1]   Go Up