INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ReplayGain Bug?  (Read 1584 times)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
ReplayGain Bug?
« on: June 24, 2006, 03:31:15 pm »

I'm having some strange behavior with ReplayGain.  What it boils down to is that it seems to be substituting some "default" ReplayGain value for tracks with no value.

I am playing some multichannel DTS-WAV and WM Pro files so I use ASIO output with a fixed ReplayGain of 0.0.  Since these files have no ReplayGain values they play fine (I get DTS and WM Pro delivered to my receiver via s/pdif as expected).  However, if I try to mix some stereo APE files in the playlist at a certain point (I'm not sure when exactly) I just get noise from my multichannel files.  When I look at the ReplayGain settings, it shows a ReplayGain of -12.6 for these files even though they have no ReplayGain value (I even tried to clear it just to make sure).  If I don't use ReplayGain they play ok again.  Any idea where this odd "default" value is coming from and how I can prevent it?
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: ReplayGain Bug?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 05:36:50 pm »

It is not a bug. MC just tries to do what it can if the playlist contains unanalyzed tracks. It helpfully calculates the average Replay Gain value from the other analyzed playlists tracks and uses that value.

I have not tested this, but I think the following might work. Analyze the files, export a playlist of them in MPL format and edit the values to be 0 dB. After that remove the files from the database and import the MPL file. If a 0 dB correction makes the signal to be unaltered then this should work.

If you use a fixed playback adjustment then you need to edit the value accordingly. E.g. if you use a +6 dB correction the Replay Gain value in the MPL file needs to be -6dB. You cannot make the "Automatic based on current playlist" option work with this.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 09:04:48 pm »

Ok, thanks.  I will try this.  Is there no way to manually edit the Replay Gain values in MC?

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 04:00:33 pm »

Unfortunately, the MPL export/import didn't work.  It never overwrites the Replay Gain values when you import.  Is there any way to modify these values directly?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 05:48:02 pm »

After that remove the files from the database and import the MPL file.

MPL import cannot update data. Make a library backup and delete the files from the library first or use a new empty library for testing.

The MPL file contains all library fields so all field data should be preserved. If the files are included in static playlists you can export them in m3u format and import them back afterwards.

Perhaps King's Replace Master plug-in could change the Replay Gain values too. I don't know if it can edit all database fields.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 04:49:44 am »

I experimented a bit with this. It seems that a zero (0, 0.0 or 0.000000...) value does not stick. MC displays always an empty Replay Gain field after changing the value to zero and the behavior is somewhat irrational, as you have noticed. When various analyzed and unanalyzed files are included in PN some DTS wave (.wav) files show no correction in the DSP Studio window and some other use some kind of averaged value that changes every time the playlist contents are changed.

I tried King's plug-in too. It can be used for changing the value, but naturally that does not change MC's behavior.

I have not yet tried to use a different value. For example, -1dB with a fixed +1 dB correction.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 06:43:26 am »

I have not yet tried to use a different value. For example, -1dB with a fixed +1 dB correction.

This works. I changed the value to -3 dB and used a +3 dB fixed correction. My Yamaha receiver decoded the DTS output correctly.

However, the receiver changes from DTS to PCM too slowly. The mode change can take up to 30 s. This makes impossible to play both formats in a mixed playlist.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 08:46:26 am »

Thanks for trying this.  I will try to change the values and see how my receiver behaves.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 10:55:52 am »

Happiness  :).  I modified the replay gain for all of my 5.1 files and my Pioneer receiver seems to switch between and decode all the formats just fine.  Thanks again for your help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up