INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drop Out When Ripping Multiple Tracks to MP3  (Read 1741 times)

dlmax63

• World Citizen
Drop Out When Ripping Multiple Tracks to MP3
« on: June 25, 2006, 10:44:55 pm »

When attempting to rip a CD to MP3 and I have the online CD lookup enabled I get an audible dropout at ~5 to 7 seconds into the songs. It doesn't happen on the first song but it does on all subsequent songs.

Is this just me or are any other interact members experiencing this? Is there another setting that I should change to allow me to re-enable the lookup without having the dropout? I'd rather have it enabled instead of having to go back and look up the information after I've ripped a CD.

Media Center Registered 11.1.178 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Unknown 2009 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 419 MB (info while performing Rip)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Ripping /   Drive H: E-IDE   CD-ROM 50X        Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive I: SONY    DVD RW DRU-530A   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive M:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive N:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: No /  Use YADB: No /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive I: SONY     DVD RW DRU-530A    Addr: 2:3:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!

JONCAT

Re: Drop Out When Ripping Multiple Tracks
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 08:40:39 am »

What MP3 settings are you using, I'll try to reproduce this.

DC

JONCAT

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 05:25:35 pm »

I ripped an entire disc to 256 lame constant bitrate and could not reproduce this dropout error. I did not try VBR or another if that's what you're using.

sorry
DC

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 07:52:02 pm »

Thanks for replying DC,

I've currently got it set for CBR / ABR encoding (L.A.M.E.) with a target rate of 320 kbs. Rip and encode simultaneously is disabled. Also disabled are: Enable online CD lookup, Use digital playback, Analyze audio during ripping, Eject CD after ripping, Enable auto-ripe mode and Play sound after ripping. I have enabled Get cover art from internet afterripping.

These settings work OK but the other day if I set Enable online CD lookup to enabled I got the dropout. I tried multiple audio CDs in both of my drives. It didn't matter whether or not I was running anything in the background.

To make sure, I went back and played with the settings to try to reproduce it and I was unable to. Random photons maybe? I wish I knew why it was happening but I'm glad it isn't anymore. Thanks for trying it yourself, I appreciate you looking into it. All is good now.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 10:20:38 pm »

What are your system specs, hardware and software, and how is your cd drive hooked up?

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 08:44:45 pm »

system info:
Media Center Registered 11.1.178 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Unknown 2006 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 639 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Ripping /   Drive H: E-IDE   CD-ROM 50X        Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:8
  Drive I: SONY    DVD RW DRU-530A   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:8
  Drive M:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive N:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: No /  Use YADB: No /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive I: SONY     DVD RW DRU-530A    Addr: 2:3:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: Yes /

The original problem still exists. It worked all right for a while with all options/settings disabled. One thing I do notice is that the drive does not spool up during the first track and that MJ displays a rip speed of no more than 3.9. Then, on the following and subsequent tracks the drive spools up prior to ripping. It spools up while the previous song is at ~98-99% encoded. On these tracks the rip/encode speed displays anywhere from 7x to 25x even though I've got advanced settings set to a maximum of 8x. Any songs that are ripping when I hear the drive spool up have the dropout at ~7 seconds into the song. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not. I'll see if I can't find a free mp3 codec out there that I can try as an external converter.

I've been using MJ since v5.x & this is the first time I've ripped directly to mp3. Previously I had always ripped lossless using mpc & then if I wanted an mp3 I would rip it to a separate file. I now have an mp3 head unit in my car which supports m3u & I'd like to use it more often so I'm trying to rip my CDs using MJ.

Any help from the forum would be greatly appreciated.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Drop Out When Ripping Multiple Tracks to MP3
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 10:42:19 am »

Have you tried to update your MC to 11.1.188?

There are loads of fixes in the ten or so point releases since the 11.1.178 that you are running.....

What else might be running in the background on your machine?  Seti@Home by any chance?  What kind of AV or firewall software?  Anything like Norton Ghost that might be busying out your hard drives?

Can't tell from your posting how your CD drives are hooked up?  ATAPI or USB.  If USB, is is 1.1 or 2.0, are they connected directly into the motherboard or through a hub?  Is the hub powered or not, how many other devices might be on the same USB string?

Are your USB and ATAPI drivers (mobo chipset drivers) up to date?
Pages: [1]   Go Up