INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wishlist - auto switch between gapless and crossfade  (Read 2595 times)

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
Wishlist - auto switch between gapless and crossfade
« on: June 27, 2006, 10:52:47 am »

Here's a simple idea that would make life much easier: auto switch between gapless and crossfade playback. It can be implemented with a simple rule.

If the next track is from the same album, and the track # is consecutive, then make a gapless transition (ie you are hearing the album as the artist intended).

If the next track is from another album OR the track # is not consecutive, then crossfade (ie you have made your own mix, either by shuffling, building a playlist, etc).

For me this would totally remove the need to switch between alternate playback modes.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Wishlist - auto switch between gapless and crossfade
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 10:59:46 am »

That would rock.

Another thing I've often wanted but I have no idea how you'd make a good gui handle it would be to somehow mark certain tracks that always stick together in a certain order when you do a shuffle.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 11:14:37 am »

That would rock.

Another thing I've often wanted but I have no idea how you'd make a good gui handle it would be to somehow mark certain tracks that always stick together in a certain order when you do a shuffle.
Hmm - put them in a playlist, and have the option to treat playlists as if they were a single file? Whenever it appeared in another playlist or a playing now window, it could have a little handle to indicate that it contained other songs.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 01:52:12 am »

Now were talking auto DJ type features, which is the last mile type of user experience thing that MC needs to be the player that slays them all.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 02:03:22 am »

Now were talking auto DJ type features, which is the last mile type of user experience thing that MC needs to be the player that slays them all.
Yeah, I agree.

It would be cool if MC had some kind of neato auto-DJ, collaborative filtering, Liveplasma-like, total entertainment experience creation capability.

It's almost there - the ability to put the UI and the fullscreen display on separate monitors, the system of zones, automatic panning and zooming of images, handling of multiple media types...

If nailed down properly, this could open up the corporate/trade-show installation market.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 09:34:49 am »

I'm all for the auto switch idea and have always wanted MC to have a few more DJ features.  Would BPM matching be out of the question?

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 03:01:20 pm »

If the next track is from the same album, and the track # is consecutive, then make a gapless transition (ie you are hearing the album as the artist intended).

If the next track is from another album OR the track # is not consecutive, then crossfade (ie you have made your own mix, either by shuffling, building a playlist, etc).
I like the idea..tho in practice, will it be efffective ?

I have never bothered with crossfade much as many times the effect is not that great. Many times depending on the track you will want to crossfade to different  parts of the 2ndtrack and not necessarily always at the beginning.

Usually i leave it at gapless always and only throw in unmixed tracks, the usual 1-2s gaps between tracks seem more natural that way.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 07:47:30 pm »

I like the idea..tho in practice, will it be efffective ?

I have never bothered with crossfade much as many times the effect is not that great. Many times depending on the track you will want to crossfade to different  parts of the 2ndtrack and not necessarily always at the beginning.

Usually i leave it at gapless always and only throw in unmixed tracks, the usual 1-2s gaps between tracks seem more natural that way.
I use a lot of automatically generated Smartlists, and so a cross-fade makes things seem more fluid.

But I understand your point - especially about fading into a specific part of the 2nd track.

It would be interesting if you could store a separate "in" point (or several) in the library. I think others have asked for it, what they call A-B points or playback.

Zoomplayer has a system of "cut lists" where you store a definition file alongside a video file, that contains the points where you want to "cut" some of the video, ie commercials or non-child friendly segments. Perhaps a variation on that system would work.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 08:35:45 pm »

yes yes, all of it sounds good. 8)
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball
Pages: [1]   Go Up