INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr. Cilantro's problems restoring  (Read 1756 times)

JONCAT

Dr. Cilantro's problems restoring
« on: June 27, 2006, 07:42:21 pm »

Back again, can't restore my library that I made with .88

I did a TON of work today and changed my entire library around; I have two backups the old and the new....NEITHER will restore. I am going to install 85 or 86 and try; I don't have .87

Installed .85 and my default library opened up, tried to Restore the one that was a tad newer and it failed. Then I was stuck with no library. Installed .88 again and staying with the default that has popped up.

>:(

DC

JONCAT

Re: Dr. Cilantro's problems restoring
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 09:18:21 pm »

Library 1 was made with .85

Library 2 was made with .88

Neither library will restore on either .85 or .88

DC

JONCAT

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 09:36:10 pm »

I am now able to restore successfully but only after I made a new library backup and restored to it, then restored to my previous ones that were failing.

How redundant is this backup system, trouble seems to crop up here more than enough to make me feel safe. And I still don't understand how you can have empty playlists instead of simply missing playlists.

DC

JONCAT

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 09:42:24 pm »

And finally, I am pretty sure this newest backup is NOT my newest although I know I saved at 12:30 PM and said YES to overwrite the New.backup o fthe library I had been working on.

Is there any chance overwrite an exisitng name is failing to save the backup?

I finished working and changed view scheme search strings from paths to quote structure, added two view schemes, and two playlists all of which are not showing up here in this supposedly fresh & newest backup.

PLEASE look into this and I will again stress test my machine overnight.

DC

JONCAT

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 06:15:11 am »

Went back 4 libraries this morning, 1st two restored and then the last two failed, one of which worked last night and a brand new one that I made this morning and restored to after making.

???

DC

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 06:42:44 am »

Memory problems?  Disk problems?  Virus checker?

JONCAT

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 07:18:25 am »

Hey Jim - turned off real time virus protection; I use NOD32 after having used both Kaspersky & Extendia.

Honestly feels like something MC related since it is now failing all my libraries right away like it's failing to actually try and load them.

I have been running Prime95 all night and plan to test with the memtester Matt suggested while I mow the lawn.

thanks
DC

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 07:34:27 am »

I have never had problems with making or restoring library backups. I suppose that something on your PC prevented MC from being able to properly copy the library data files (*.jmd) during the backup process. *

A library backup zip file just contains the .jmd files from the library data folder. You can effectively do the same by copying the .jmd files to some other place when MC is not running.

A "restore" simply replaces the current .jmd files in the library data folder with the files from the backup zip archive. You could also manually replace the .jmd files in the library data folder with another set of older unzipped .jmd files (naturally MC should not be running during this).

There is a difference though. During a library restore MC deletes the thumbnails file (thus forces MC to rebuild them) because the current file would not be in synch with the older library data. You can do also this manually in Options > Tree & View > Thumbnails.

Edit

* ... or if the zip file is fine then something may prevent MC from restoring the files.

You could try another library data folder location instead of the default location in the "C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\Application Data\J River\Media Center 11... " path. Try something simple and totally unrestricted. (I have my main library in "C:\XYZ\".)

Edit 2

when MC is not running
- read this as: "when the main MC program or the separately started Media Server program is not running"
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JONCAT

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 10:31:14 am »

Okay thanks Alex. Things are working now so hopefully it was some kind of system glitch. I ran the memtest that Matt suggested with two instances using half of my memory each; no errors after a few hours. I try what you have suggested as well.

thanks
DC
Pages: [1]   Go Up