INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume Question  (Read 1174 times)

TimB

• Citizen of the Universe
Volume Question
« on: June 27, 2006, 03:42:09 pm »

Couple of questions revolving around volume:

• The choices are kinda confusing me on Replay Gain.  I want all my songs to play at the same volume, they're all analyzed, what setting (track-based or album-based) in Replay Gain do I choose?  I don't understand the pros and cons of one vs the other.  (I use ASIO for output.)

• I want all my songs on my iPod to play at the same volume, I know that my iPod has a "Sound Check" setting that will take care of this.  Is that the best choice?  It seems to set the volume significantly quieter than I want.  I tried adjusting the volume on the iPod tree in MC (right click on the iPod) but the dialog box didn't seem to work.

Thanks for any assistance. :)

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

jgreen

Re: Volume Question
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 05:56:40 pm »

Tim--
Now that your tracks are analyzed, the replay gain settings for album- and track-based can be changed at will.

Track-based is the classic apllication of RG.  MC uses each track's analysis to set gain to the "norm" (which is still in dispute).  I use this almost exclusively, as I hate volume 'suprises", and I almost never play original albums in track order.

Album-based RG will average the analysis of all tracks in a particular album and give each track the identical RG setting, which is a compromise.  The reason to choose this is to preserve the original relative amplitude of the tracks in the album, as originally specified in the mix. 

Alex B, for example, is a great fan of this, and has written at length about the artistic integrity of the mix, etc, etc, etc.  But does any of this apply to the work of the famously impulsive Phil Spector, for example?  I think not.  I don't care what the audio enginer thought about the volume, I use track-based replay gain.

TimB

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 09:48:34 pm »

Tim--
Now that your tracks are analyzed, the replay gain settings for album- and track-based can be changed at will.

Track-based is the classic apllication of RG.  MC uses each track's analysis to set gain to the "norm" (which is still in dispute).  I use this almost exclusively, as I hate volume 'suprises", and I almost never play original albums in track order.

Album-based RG will average the analysis of all tracks in a particular album and give each track the identical RG setting, which is a compromise.  The reason to choose this is to preserve the original relative amplitude of the tracks in the album, as originally specified in the mix. 

Alex B, for example, is a great fan of this, and has written at length about the artistic integrity of the mix, etc, etc, etc.  But does any of this apply to the work of the famously impulsive Phil Spector, for example?  I think not.  I don't care what the audio enginer thought about the volume, I use track-based replay gain.

Makes total sense and thanks!

Any help on the iPod portion of the question?

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

jgreen

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 10:15:19 pm »

Oops, sorry.

With tracks analyzed for replay gain, I synced them into my ipod and enabled soundcheck, and it works!  Note:  you're still going to notice small differences in volume, as replay gain is part art as well as science.  With headphones, the art part is more apparent.

I don't know what to think about your tracks all sounding quiet--mine were just fine.  Maybe somebody smarter will come along and solve that one.  Anyone?
Pages: [1]   Go Up