INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simple auto fill of portable device?  (Read 1171 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Simple auto fill of portable device?
« on: June 27, 2006, 11:00:07 pm »

My Sandisk Sansa e270 with 6GB will be here in a few days or so and I am curious about how to easily setup a playlist which will automatically fill my player.

First, I want songs rated 5 and 4 songs with no exceptions.  I'm hopeful that I won't get more than what my player can hold, but it's possible.  Second, I am thinking that songs played more than 5 times should be added.  Finally, any extra space should be filled with 3-star rated songs and others played more than once.  As a last resort, randomly add songs.

At the moment, I am trying to quickly get a big number of songs rated, basically transfering my iTunes ratings but updating preferences as they may have changed.

As a general rule, what do you guys think of this:
5 stars: absolute favorites I can't live without
4 stars: wonderful songs that I will reserve for those moments when I am less demanding for a perfect song
3 stars: songs I generally like but do not necessarily need to keep with me
2 stars: songs I dislike and do not want to carry with me
1 star:  longer items which are not worthy of a rating.  Things such as thunderstorms, babbling brooks, etc., which are 30-60 minutes in length could automatically be copied and fill up lots of space.

My question is about certain holiday music.  For example, we have a very large christmas music collection and I like many songs very much.  I guess I could use my standard rating system and then remember to add a NOT genre=christmas criteria...that would work great.

Thanks!

jgreen

Re: Simple auto fill of portable device?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 02:05:50 pm »

Ben--

#1, Thank you for not declaring that 1-5 ratings will never do, that only 1-10 can accurately codify your listening preferences.  I myself converted my 1-5 ratings to 1-10 and it turned out to be one of the silliest things I ever did, or at least it ranks in the top 5,000 this year.

Looking at your suggested plan confirms my current hypothesis:  we really only need three ratings for the music we like, the other two just describe how much we dislike something.  However, I think you ought to start out with 4 ratings fojr music you listen to, and reserve 1-star for music you don't want to listen to.  No sense rating stuff you won't listen to anyway. 

So here is my suggestion, and the rough % distribution of each level in my library.  I have to estimate because I'm away from my main library.

5--Absolute favorites I can't live without.  These songs tend to be of a very similar style/genre.  Without applying any rule, it ends up being 5% of my rated tracks or so, but not more than 10%.

4--Songs I love.  They may not be the bell-ringers that 5s are, or they may draw from genres that aren't necessarily always my favorite, or something.  15% to 20% of my rated tracks.

3--This is where I put songs that I like but not love.  A lot of the pop from the 70s ends up here, pleasant to listen to but I don't do looking for it.  30% of my rated tracks.

2--This is where I put most of the Aerosmith or ZZ top or Jimi tracks that I like ( but not love) but can only take once or twice a month.  Each time I listen to them I start out thinking, "Gee, why isn't this track a 3?"  But by the end of the song I'm tired of it and I change it back to a 2 again.  20% of my rated tracks.

1--You guessed it--20% to 30% of my library (maybe even closer to 40%) are tracks that I wished never existed.  At one point or another I paid good money for them, and that's the darnedest part.  So if you're building a library from scratch I recommend you stop buying CDs and rent your tracks first.  Try Napster or Performer Digital.

No Star--Make sure you don't rate songs you haven't actually listened to.  I had a lot of "longer items not worthy of a rating", concerts from etree.org, for example.  I finally went through a few of them and most of those are now 4- or 5-stars.  Imagine:  a 2-hour track that's worth a 5-star to me, and I was missing it all this time.

As for the number of plays, I definitely think this should alter a rating.  I occassionally upgrade 3s and 4s whose number of plays puts them solidly into the next level, and similarly I've downgraded museum items that I never seemed to play.  This can be educational:  I have a couple of tracks from the Carpenters (!) that started out as 2s and ended up as 5s.  Go figure. 

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Simple auto fill of portable device?
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 03:15:54 pm »

Unfortunately, that was helpful, but did not answer any of my question!  I got my Sansa in the mail today and keep messing everything up.  I decided to change the quality setting so I could fit more music after I got 180 songs copied!  Now, I seem to notice a lot of problems with synchronizing.  I'm going to start a new thread entitled, "Portable player sync troubles and issues"

I agree with much of what you said in your rating system and am trying to rate as much as I can at the moment.

My library before yesterday when I finished my new collection consisted of low quality mp3's and random findings on the internet.  I decided to upgrade to all FLAC and purchase everything I want on CD.  That cost me close to $1000--buying all used, of course, and getting me close to two hundred real, studio CDs to rip.  I now am only a few tracks under 7,000 and they are all real, from CDs that I currently own and hold at my house.  My old collection was nearing 8K but wasn't in very good condition by any stretch of the imagination.

Check the new thread out!
Pages: [1]   Go Up