INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sophistocated Duplicate Finding  (Read 1297 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Sophistocated Duplicate Finding
« on: June 29, 2006, 02:44:11 pm »

Is there a way to find duplicates based on Artist, Name (that's easy), AND duration (which is also easy) but with the addition that songs will still be considered duplicates up to 10 seconds difference.  The problem is that I have some live versions of songs which are truly duplicates, but they are much different in length, so I want them to be included!

I tried ~[Duration] and that seemed to do something because it removed some similarly lengthed songs.

Without ~, I get three copies of the same song, lengths: 3:48, 3:49, & 3:57.  The 3:57 song is a live version and it should be included as well, so I guess the second difference would have to be 8 seconds to make that work.

This would be GREAT!  I'm wondering if you could use ( ) and IF/ELSE type logic to help with this--if it's even possible.  Thanks!

Marra

• World Citizen
Re: Sophistocated Duplicate Finding
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 04:22:08 pm »

Great idea - but I would like to take it one further.
When comparing song and artist names ignore "The","A" etc at the beginning of these fields (similar to existing option to ignore for sorting purposes).

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 08:12:02 pm »

True.  I just spent 2 weeks re-encoding and purchasing a ton of music I had downloaded in the past on CD and have 7K totally legit songs, which I currently own on CD.  This makes me feel so happy.  The only drawback is that instead of having the best songs and that's it, I now have duplicates galore because I don't like to leave off songs so I end up just ripping the entire CD.  I quickly checked every song before ripping it but I do end up with strange similarities but differences between song names.  I do want to say that the ~ character works great.  If you add it before [Name] so it is ~[Name], you do end up finding a lot more duplicates.

I think we need to think this through and figure it out.  Is there some good documentation on the complete list of available operators in the MC searching feature?  I realized you can use OR statements and that surprised me so I wouldn't be surprised if you can use IF statements.  Adding an ~ for duration seems to make it a duplicate if the durations are near, but I can't figure out what the exact difference is before they aren't included.  I should investigate this more.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 01:34:55 am »

I think we need to think this through and figure it out.  Is there some good documentation on the complete list of available operators in the MC searching feature?  I realized you can use OR statements and that surprised me so I wouldn't be surprised if you can use IF statements.  Adding an ~ for duration seems to make it a duplicate if the durations are near, but I can't figure out what the exact difference is before they aren't included.  I should investigate this more.

open MC's help file. open "Samrtlists", then click on "Smartlist and Search - Rules and Modifiers" and you'll see what's available.

In large libraries, dupes can be a bit of a problem, and for now, need to be handled manually. I've set mine up so that smartlists and general viewschemes always pick the same 'best quality' track from the dupes, while one group alone is set aside for playback of full albums.
It's a tad complex, so not for the faint of heart, but if you're interested, you can read more here

-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up