INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging Video Clips (some difficulties experienced)  (Read 2114 times)

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...
Tagging Video Clips (some difficulties experienced)
« on: June 30, 2006, 12:20:45 pm »

Hi,

I converted a DVD concert from Bruce Hornsby into several .avi video-clips (one per song), imported them into MC.12 and went to tag them with the usual info: Artist, Album, Date, etc.

Selected all the files and open the "Tag Info" thing in the Action Window. Clicked on the "Date" tag to set it to 2005, so far so good. Went to tag the "Artist" and such tag was not displayed in the main window... clicked on "ad tag"  and, to my surpirse, the "Artist" tag was not available to be selected (is it because it's a video file?)

The workaround has been: setting all the files in details view in the main pane, where the "Artist" field was indeed available. Filled the first file with the correct artist (Bruce Hornsby) and selected all the files again. At this point, the tag "Artist" was already visible ein the "Tag Info" window and it was easy to set it to "Bruce Hornsby" for all the files.

Obviously, there must be a better way to handle this situation... but, how? This could be not very intuitive for a new user.

Thank you.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Tagging Video Clips (some difficulties experienced)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 01:21:20 pm »

Selected all the files and open the "Tag Info" thing in the Action Window. Clicked on the "Date" tag to set it to 2005, so far so good. Went to tag the "Artist" and such tag was not displayed in the main window... clicked on "ad tag"  and, to my surpirse, the "Artist" tag was not available to be selected (is it because it's a video file?)

I hope not.  I use Artist (and Album) in my video files heavily.

I also just don't think that MC should decide for itself what tags I'm "supposed" to use for what types of media.  If I want to add "Lyrics" to an Image file, then I want to add Lyrics to the picture darn it!  Generally, for now at least, I'm still smarter than my computer (by just a little bit).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Deivit

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 02:10:57 pm »

Hi Glynor,

Can you reproduce the problem?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 03:49:32 pm »

I'll try with the new build.  More in a sec....

EDIT:

Yep.  I can confirm with MC 12.0.030.  Not only do I not see the Artist field listed under the Add A Tag button, I am not able to add tags for any of the Fields that are available under that button (it brings up the fabled "black box" and refuses to accept any tag changes).

If you click on Add A Tag under the Tag Info's drop down menu (the button on the left of it's title bar, or in the pane's right-click context menu, there are no choices at all (just greyed out n/a).  Also, on two occasions I had MC crash while I was accessing this menu -- however, from the activity on my Notification Area from FFDSHOW I'm assuming those crashes were related to building thumbs of my Video files (which seems horribly buggy).

I would guess that, as Matt mentioned, it's just Not Done YetTM and there isn't yet reason to sound the claxon alarms.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Deivit

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 05:12:25 pm »

Thanks Glynor. I'm having issues with 030 as I posted on the build thread, that could or could not be related to playing video files. I'm gonna stick for the moment with 028 until Matt can take a look at that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up