INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Update tags only on demand  (Read 1747 times)

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
  • Negopus: negotium, otium et opus
Update tags only on demand
« on: July 01, 2006, 03:46:25 pm »

Media Center only allows two options when it comes to synchronizing file tags with the library. The checkbox in Tools > Options > General > Importino & Tagging > Update tags when file info changes allows two states only. You can have file tags always updated, or you inhibit update at all. There should be a third choice. You should be able to write the tags only on demand.

I think that, in general, it is better not to write tags to file after each change (it prevents writing to disk – always a risk -- and possibly disk fragmentation), but the user should be given the choice to write tags on demand without reconfiguring the program each time in Tools > Options.

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Update tags only on demand
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 05:02:32 pm »

I think worrying is somewhat of a waste of time, but I would suggest disabling writing and then when you want to update, go to the options page and select Update, OK, then return to disable it again.

The only other option would be a third option with a button somewhere which would be hidden because most people want the tags updated immediately.  It is very smart about it by not writing to songs you are playing--I love that feature.  It just does what it should vs. a dumb program which would give you an error and crash.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 11:25:13 am »

There should be a third choice. You should be able to write the tags only on demand.
Can you give examples of which tags should be 'on-demand' only ?

Not getting the point just yet.

If you want only certain tags to be written, just enable store in file if possible in the tags config and disable for those that you don't.

Could this be the on-demand that you seek.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 12:17:37 pm »

I think negopus is asking for an option that would update physical file tags only when the "Update Tags (from library) command is issued.

The "Update tags when file info changes" general on/off switch should have an additional option like "allow manual updates when disabled". Currently the user must change the general option twice, before and after.

Not a bad idea.

BTW, the current option name is a bit confusing. For example, "Update file tags when library info changes" would be better.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

benn600

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 01:56:10 pm »

That's funny to know that the option has existed all this time.  I forgot about that option but have seen it many times.  Therefore, disable updating and then use the Right click menu to update tags when you want them updated.  Good job!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 02:12:09 pm »

I guess you didn't try it. The option disables manual updates as well.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

benn600

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 02:17:33 pm »

lol--whatever...that's unfortunate for the first poster, but I personally don't need this feature.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 11:22:45 am »

I guess you didn't try it. The option disables manual updates as well.

Which I used to complain about all the time, when my network drive was slower.  Never got any support.  It's silly that the option disables manual updates.  Why can't it just disable automatic updates and assume that if the user issues a manual update that he/she/it knows what they are doing?  What purpose does stopping you from issuing the manual update serve?

However, since I've moved on to a better quality (and Gigabit) switch I just leave the auto update option selected.  It used to be painfully slow to update the tags every time I changed the tinyest little thing in the files.  MC 11.1 is much better at this than older versions, and my network is better too.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

benn600

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 06:35:38 pm »

That's strange!  I use a 100Mb network and have absolutely no problems or slowdowns.  It works perfectly for streaming high quality video and tag updating is very, very fast.  I can update a thousand files in seconds, well under a minute.
Pages: [1]   Go Up