INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: any chance of adding .tif files to the taggers' repertoire?  (Read 2889 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

please.

I see that atm, tif files are only supported for display. If an exif tag is present, it is not read, neither will MC store <MJMD> tags inside tif files.

I'm tempted to call it a bug because it's irritating, but know that for now, I'll have to accepted "non-supported file type". Nice if this could be added.

jgreen

Re: any chance of adding .tif files to the taggers' repertoire?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 01:17:31 pm »

Yes, please, although I didn't know tif was tagable.  Anyone have a link for info on tagability of the various lossless gfx formats (tif, sgi, tga, etc)?

Oops, if I now remember correctly, the "T" in TIF stands for "tagged".

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 05:28:51 pm »

Yep.  Tagged Image File Format == TIFF   ;D
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 06:34:33 pm »

Why TIFF?

Whats the Advantage?

I Have Never Used Them.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 06:44:42 pm »

The difference is like between APE and MP3. Usually TIFF is used for lossless image files (though the format itself allows various compression methods). JPEG is lossy like MP3.

You can edit and save a TIFF image as many times as you wish. The quality will not degrade. (Unless you make bad edits :) )
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jgreen

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 10:43:35 am »

If you zoom way in to a jpeg you're going to see tiling ( the picture is constructed of tiles).  People start to look like aligators.  Secondly, jpeg compression writes all the near-whites to absolute white, so that reflections on water, etc look like holes in the film. 

Zoom into a hi-rez 16-bit per pixel (16 per channel=48 bit) tiff (or targa or SGI) and all you see is a hi-def representation of the original film grain.  As Alex said, all digital capture coimpresses the original analog record, but 16-bit linear is a darn good capture, and "lossless", as compared to jpeg, which will melt like an mp3 if continually refiltered.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 11:38:12 am »

I posted a good explanation of, and demonstration of, JPEG artifacts and compression problems in this thread a while back.

TIFFs are the standard image file format in professional grapics settings.  Just like FLAC vs. APE vs. SHN vs. <insert_pet_lossless_audio_format_here> there isn't much of a quality difference between the lossless image formats.  Different formats have different pros and cons, but TIFFs are the standard.

Image file formats have had much more time to "sort out" of course...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 12:12:47 pm »

I read a couple of web pages about the TIFF format specification.

Actually, it is legal to wrap e.g. a JPEG compressed image inside TIFF since the specification allows about anything. For example, Photoshop has an option for JPEG compression with TIFF files. (Though, luckily this is not commonly used.)

Tagging metadata inside a TIFF file may be a complex issue. I am not sure if a good standard exists. TIFF tags are mainly used for defining the image content, but TIFF has a few predefined tags for textual information and a bunch of tags for proprietary info. These proprietary tags are mainly intended for HW manufacturers and SW companies.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 12:43:59 pm »

Actually, it is legal to wrap e.g. a JPEG compressed image inside TIFF since the specification allows about anything. For example, Photoshop has an option for JPEG compression with TIFF files. (Though, luckily this is not commonly used.)

Actually, last I checked Photoshop was the only application that could read/write these images.  ZIP compression is also allowed, but sparsely supported.  Generally, LZW compression is well supported.  Just like AVI, MOV, MKV, and OGM (and many other video formats) a TIFF is a container format which specifies how the data inside is logically structured (not necessarily the format of the data itself).

Tagging metadata inside a TIFF file may be a complex issue. I am not sure if a good standard exists. TIFF tags are mainly used for defining the image content, but TIFF has a few predefined tags for textual information and a bunch of tags for proprietary info. These proprietary tags are mainly intended for HW manufacturers and SW companies.

It really is a complex issue.  Generally, though... What Adobe does is what is used.  That's their power in the industry.  I would just like some of MC's tags to be saved in interchangable formats (like keywords for example).  The vast majority would probably need to stay in MC's internal database, or use an XMP-style system.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 04:50:51 am »

16. NEW: Reads IPTC info from JPEG images.

my .tif files are developing an inferiority complex ;)

(I understand it might be difficult, but untill I'm told to shutup, I just gotta keep nudging :) )

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 03:02:15 pm »

(I understand it might be difficult, but untill I'm told to shutup, I just gotta keep nudging :) )

I nudged here.   ;D

Pages: [1]   Go Up