INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote access  (Read 1071 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Remote access
« on: July 02, 2006, 03:08:23 pm »

Is there a secure way to access my music library with MC setup to serve out the collection over the internet?  I would like to access it from another location but don't want to open myself up to security vulnerabilities.  I am thinking Hamachi would solve the problem but I don't want to install that if I don't have to since it makes so many changes...it would, however, provide a very secure connection to my server so it is on the same network and I wouldn't have to mess with port forwarding, etc., I would just open MC and select search for server--it would detect it and start working.  I'll probably re-encode to 160Kb if there aren't any problems with that since everything is in FLAC at the moment and the net probably couldn't handle that for me.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Remote access
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 11:47:52 pm »

you can either run Library Server within MC and then configure your router to forward the port from internet clients to the internal machine hosting MC.  You can also enable a password in MC to authenticate connections to the library service.

If you need more secure than that, you'll need to establish a VPN tunnel into your network and then your remote client will be able to talk directly on the network either via file shares or Library Server port.

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Remote access
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 05:22:53 pm »

You could also install SSHd on your home PC and then run PuTTy on your work machine and use port redirection to get your client MC talking to the server
Pages: [1]   Go Up