INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging Trouble - Action Window  (Read 2658 times)

scthom

• Citizen of the Universe
Tagging Trouble - Action Window
« on: July 02, 2006, 11:44:44 pm »

Am I the only one having trouble tagging files using the Tag Info from the Action Window?

The interface is really clunky with the Add Tag method.  I can't figure out how to see what is entered or empty (Tag Dump - but you can't edit from there).

If you have long entries such as lyrics or styles/moods, it's next to impossible to see everything in the Tag Info window and you can't get down to the bottom (no scrollbars?).

I like the concept, but in practice it's really clunky so far.

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Tagging Trouble - Action Window
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 01:17:54 am »

struggling with it myself too, but not got around to compiling a coherent report on the subject. Matt's mentioned that they're working hard on it atm, which is hopeully a good thing.

I had the people tag showing in that window yesterday, and then, while typing in the search bar, MC kept interrupting my typing to ask me if I really wanted to apply the changes to the people field to these several thousand files!!!

So, no, atm, you're not the only one. I make two of us :)

I do know that I have a handful of image tags that I placed in the 'Display' category, and in 11.1, I'd use the panes for most tagging, and then, as I worked through my list, I do some stuff with those fields, handily available in the action window. While I've not tried yet, I don't see that this is going to be easy, if at all possible, with the new system.

Matt mentioned that the idea is that we 'zoom' into a tag, say people, fx, then work away applying people tags to our images. I think I'm going to find that a tough adjustment to make. I'm thinking, seriously? go through the whole list tagging people, then change the tag and go through the list again, then change the tag and go through the list again, etc. etc. Surely not?
On top of that, the AW won't expand. So despit the fact that tree is fully collapsed, the AW remains compact and crams all the [people] into a tiny space requiring a mega ammount of scrolling to find the correct tag.

I still can't change a files [media type]. I'm often struggling to discover a files [file name] whereas before, it was right there in at least two places (action window and tooltip)

I'll post more when I've played with it some more.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 10:04:34 am »

So, no, atm, you're not the only one. I make two of us :)

I'm the third (in this post at least), but not the last.  It's still in flux though so I think "patience grasshopper" is required here.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 10:37:47 am »

absolutely :D

it why I mentioned >>Matt's mentioned that they're working hard on it atm, which is hopeully a good thing.<<

and why I've not rushed to make a full report on its issues for me.

Marty3d

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 01:37:35 pm »

absolutely :D

it why I mentioned >>Matt's mentioned that they're working hard on it atm, which is hopeully a good thing.<<

Same here...

scthom

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 09:47:42 pm »

I guess I didn't understand that there were significant improvements in the works.   :-[ Only saw a few complaints and wasn't sure how much people were struggling.  Anyway, it's on record now

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 02:23:04 am »

significant changes for sure. we hope they'll be improvements, and they probably will be. take nothing for granted though, we've probably all been disappointed one way or another by changes that have been made in the past.

That's a fact. Not a cue to air past disappointments. If you're prepared, it's easier to deal with ;) :)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 04:02:59 am »

I agree with the negative reactions to the new AW tag info screen (I actually just posted about this before I saw this thread.)  I find MC11'1's approach to this window to be superior to the way MC12 works.  MC11 offers more customizable options such as being able to show ALL the fields we want, INCLUCING empty fields, and being able to edit them all in the AW (which does not appear to be possible with MC12.)

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up