INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where Otto works well  (Read 1605 times)

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Where Otto works well
« on: July 05, 2006, 06:59:06 am »

Yesterday it was very sunny here.
Me and a friend went for a walk around swanage, and then
along the coast.  Took lots of pictures. 
This morning I used MS's camera and scanner wizard to retrieve
the pictures and place them in "My Pictures", and instantly they turn
up in MC  :)

I think I still prefer camera and scanner wizard over "Aquire Images"
 due to the fact that it asks me for a name for these pictures and then places them
in an appropriate directory.  Technically thats just a psychological thing
but it just seems better that way.

Heres one of the pics:

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Where Otto works well
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 05:12:50 am »

Auto-import is working really quite nicely. Perhaps a little too discreetly though?

I ran the first IPTC import build, filled with anticipation, but first, some music...
Then the images...

no places... just a comma!
Otto was so efficient, that while picking some music, it had been beavering away in the background importing available IPTC info.
It got me thinking...

I think we're all agreed that when Otto's finished a task, we should not be unceremoniously whisked off to a 'recently imported' view, but still, I feel that we should be discreetly notified of Otto's activity.
I'm not a great fan of things that flash to get our attention, but perhaps something like a blinking, or solid, icon appearing in a corner of the player display bar, that when clicked, shows us a history of just what exactly Otto's been up to. (bearing in mind that it does more than just import stuff when 'update tags for external changes' is checked.

If I had not been in focused, testing mode, and had the changes made not been quite as dramatic as replacing all my [places] data with a comma, it could have been weeks before I stumbled across Otto's dastardly work. See where I'm coming from here?

Another thing too...

If "update tags when file info changes" is checked, and certain tags are set to be stored inside the file, and Otto changes the tag, should the tag not be written to the file also?

If my understanding is correct, that's a bug, because atm, that doesn't happen.

-marko.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 12:40:31 pm »

'If "update tags when file info changes" is checked, and certain tags are set to be stored inside the file, and Otto changes the tag, should the tag not be written to the file also?'

Hmmm. Shouldn't Otto only be reading changes? If he is writing, I'd like to have his pen taken away.

As for the status indicator, ThumbsPlus has the option to show database activity. It has two little indicators in the status bar that show activity.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 02:33:37 pm »

Otto doesn't change tags.  It's read-only.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 03:58:30 pm »

if Otto's not changing tags, who's taking care of the IPTC import stuff?

If I select a bunch of files and remove their MJMD tags, MC immediately imports any existing IPTC info contained within those files.

This means new keywords etc. being added to the database. Does that not fall under the scope of "update tags when file info changes"

Pages: [1]   Go Up