INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center or iPod problem?  (Read 1071 times)

Marc

• World Citizen
  • Filthy Monkey
Media Center or iPod problem?
« on: July 06, 2006, 11:28:20 am »

Three data points:

iPod shows:
Songs:  8642
Capacity:  55.6 GB
Available:  37.9 GB

Media Center shows:
Songs:  8642
Capacity:  55.7 GB
Available:  684.8 MB

OS Shows:
Capacity:  55.6 GB
Available:  684 MB

I'm inclined to believe the numbers reported by Media Center and directly from the OS, but I'm bugged by the fact that the iPod itself thinks it has a spare 37.9 GB free space.  After all, I could put a lot more stuff in that extra space.

Anybody have any ideas or similar experiences?   ?

TIA,

Marc

Media Center Registered 11.1.187 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Unknown 1959 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2096 MB, Free - 1446 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E: TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-W162C  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-W162C   Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:4  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /
THAT's what I'm talking about.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Media Center or iPod problem?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 06:07:14 pm »

I think the iPod must be wrong. (since it's a FAT32 device and Windows should _certainly_ get the size right)

Is it possible this size is stored in the database on the iPod and somehow the database is incorrect?  Where do you see the size on the iPod?  Can anyone else reproduce this?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Marc

• World Citizen
  • Filthy Monkey
Re: Media Center or iPod problem?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 09:03:24 am »

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply.  I see the iPod information under the "Settings -> About" screen.  I've rebooted the iPod (and accompanying computer) a couple of times yesterday, and the information is consistent.

One interesting item:  when manually exploring the directories on the actual unit using Windows Explorer, I see nineteen files under "iPod_Control -> Music" titled F00 through F19.  All the files under all seem to be in 8.3 truncated format - with the exception of most of the files under F13.  There's a ton of files (i.e.  τ8┴∙G²≥s.ìº)  in there that appear corrupted and have wierd symbols for directories, files, etc.

I think I'll re-format and start over.

Marc
THAT's what I'm talking about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up