INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Remove tags" corrupting image files.  (Read 1411 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
"Remove tags" corrupting image files.
« on: July 08, 2006, 07:17:40 pm »

As you know, I've been shoe-horning my photos into MC. It's a project I've started numerous times, with plenty other software trials inbetween. Anyhow, things with v11.1 are gathering momentum thanks to some creative expression writing :)

I was just beginning to think about ditching the copies I've been messing with, when I came across this.

Many of the photos dates are wrong in MC, despite the exif info being present. I discovered that, if there's an <MJMD> tag present in the file, the "Update library from tags" tool won't re-read the EXIF info.

So, as I couldn't see a way to filter only files that have an <MJMD> tag, and after testing on a single file first, I selected the whole lot and removed their tags, then re-ran the update library from tags tool to get the right dates. Worked a treat, and got rid of a load of testing tags debris in the process. Except...

I've found quite a few corrupt files. For some reason, when removing the tags from these files, MC is damaging them, or perhaps they are already damaged, so MC can't handle them correctly? All I can say is that after removing the tags, the image can no longer be viewed.
Both v11.1 and v12 behave in the same way.

click the image to d'load a .zip containing the original, with tags, and and a corrupted version after tag removal. (0.9 mb)

If possible, I would like to know what's wrong.

Is it all MC's fault, or only partly?
if only partly, what else, and how to fix and prevent?

-marko.

EDIT:
"quite a few" is actually 135 files from a total of 1360 (Kodak photos) I chose to work with last night.

I have backups, but whatever it is that's wrong, is present in the backup files too. My image work is now on hold pending some feedback on this little hurdle.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: "Remove tags" corrupting image files.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 11:18:15 am »

Nice find Marko.  It took a series of somewhat uncommon events to cause the issue, but it was certainly there.

Next build:
Fixed: Removing an MJMD tag from an image that had other unknown appid blocks after the tag could cause an issue.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: "Remove tags" corrupting image files.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 12:44:13 pm »

It took a series of somewhat uncommon events to cause the issue, but it was certainly there.

Yeah, that sounds like me!!

Thanks Matt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up