INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Move cover art  (Read 1576 times)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Move cover art
« on: July 10, 2006, 03:49:15 pm »

It is for New cover art, but If you set it for Next to file, then, update files from Library, it doesn't place the art in the folder.

Why doesn't MC have an image function for moving cover art from the currently linked location to the location (& name rule) that is selected in the options?

That would be like a simple batch:

Code: [Select]
- read [Image File]
- if [Inside File] > go to END
- if already correct > go to END
- if the linked source file exists and the target file does not exist > copy the file > change the link > delete the source file > go to END
- if the linked source file does not exist and the target file exists > change only the link > go to END
- if the linked source file and the target file exist > prompt for the user action > after the action go to END

next file...

Perhaps extract from "Inside File" to external file could be added too.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Move cover art
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 04:31:26 pm »

The problem I run into is that I use two seperate cover art storage schemes.

Complete albums get the old folder.jpg treatment.
Singles are stored in a Singles\A Singles\B, etc folder structure and their cover uses a Cover Art\[Album Artist (auto)] - [Album] type rule.

I wish there were someway MC could automatically handle this. Since it can determine if an album is complete or not, I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to take this next step.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 04:13:08 pm »

Bump
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bopz

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 12:16:21 am »

Why doesn't MC have an image function for moving cover art from the currently linked location to the location (& name rule) that is selected in the options?

This would be really useful, and I'd go even further.

The cover art images should be tagged and tracked like every other image in the MC library database. This should happen by default.

Maybe it is supposed to work this way already, but I'm too stupid.

Here is an example: Recently I reorganised my whole MC-managed media library, including music, images and movies. I used the "Rename files from properties" rules in the Library Tools. This will be cool, I thought. I will make it consistent. I made a structure something like "Basepath/MediaType/Genre/Artist/Album" and included images and movies, because I figured heck, a photo "Album" called 2003/October can be treated in the same way as a music "album" such as Revolver, except the artist would be me, because I took those pictures.

It all (sort of) worked, except I forgot about cover art. I noticed the cover art got left behind in the old Music/Artist/Album folders. These images weren't tagged and imported the same way as other images and media. How was I going to deal with them?

In an all-too-common moment of inspired stupidity, I imported those folders without taking the time to perform the massive tagging job beforehand. Now these un-tagged images are all imported into the nice structure, but without any sensible information they are just Unknown/Unknown etc.... 

Genius, eh?

If MC tagged and tracked cover art, by default, and automatically applied the tags like Artist/Album from the audio files it is being associated with, wouldn't this be more consistent and sensible? (and less of a trap for the clueless.)

Also, maybe there could be a tag inside cover art, in the same way an audio file can be tagged with the art's location? So they stay linked, in a bi-directional way?

I'm thinking, for any media file, there is a "Linked Media" tag, (a list of images, audio, movies) associated with that item.
Maybe certain important fields, like Artist, Album, etc can be a) copied and pasted, b) imported, or c) shared between these linked media items?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 05:13:43 am »

Actually, I have done something like that since MC9.

I import my cover art scans (or downloads) and tag them with the Artist and Album tags (I use the "Album Artist" name in case of multiple artists albums). At times I import album related text documents and/or music videos too. I keep all these files in the same album folder. The actual cover art image is named using the [Album Artist (auto)] - [Album] rule so MC can automatically use it.

I do all file maintaining in a view scheme that can show all file types at the same time.

In this MC11.1 screenshot I have music videos and scanned cover art images besides the standard audio files:

bopz

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 05:58:18 am »

Actually, I have done something like that since MC9.
I import my cover art scans (or downloads) and tag them with the Artist and Album tags

Nice.
(I also use an All Media viewscheme)

But you're doing the tagging yourself, right?
MC could easily tag images at the time they are linked to audio, automatically.

The user typically imports and links images to the audio files at the same time, using
  ContextMenu -> Image ->
  Add from File
  Quick find in Cover Art Directory (following the rule)
  Get from Internet
  Get from Scanner
etc...

Since the audio files have already been selected, the existing tags such as Artist, Album Artist, Album, and so on, ought to be quickly and automatically applied to the images.

Having said that, I see that using an All Media view scheme could assist the manual tagging. Thanks.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 06:13:30 am »

My folders have a [Album Artist (auto)]\[Album] structure and the filenames contain the needed information for the "Name" field. I use the "Fill Properties From Filename..." tool for tagging these images (and other album related files) semi-automatically.
Pages: [1]   Go Up