INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: jgreen goes shopping  (Read 2693 times)

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
OT: jgreen goes shopping
« on: July 13, 2006, 05:34:57 pm »

Now that I've upgraded my laptop, I'm pining for a suitable sound system to go with.  Currently on my list for shopping itiems:  audiophile headphones and soundcard.  Of course, there are variables to consider:

--for starters, I'd want this stuff as small as possible, in the name of portability.  Nevermind that my laptop is a 17" monster mainly "portable" via forklift.  If sound quality were the only consideration, I imagine the Sennheiser 650's would be a good choice for headphones.  But is there anything equivilent in specs in a smaller package?  Even, say, earbuds?  Glynor, I think you mentioned the Sennheisers.  Is there anything new on the market that you'd consider?

--Soundcard.  I want something that is bus-powered, no additional power cables required.  The M-audio Fast Track looks good, and feeds off a USB hookup.  SNR is good but not overwhelming, when compared with the EMU or even the audigy.  But the EMU seems to require additional power, and the audigy specs look somewhat inflated.  Anyone tried this stuff? 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: OT: jgreen goes shopping
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 06:10:25 pm »

I'm a big Sennheiser SD 580/600/650 fan.  However, they make you look like a scary monster. (Benchwarmers reference)

And I think you almost need to ignore specs for audio equipment.  My headphone amp has an advertised S/N ratio of 65 dB.  It's stone silent at deafening volumes if you pause the incoming analog signal.  It's actually a little amazing compared to other expensive (to me) receivers I've tested.

So when the Audigy is advertised at >100dB, it just doesn't make sense. (that's like 60 times better)  Maybe they're measuring the software S/N (which has no noise) instead of hardware in a real-world environment.  It's a stumper.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 06:29:01 pm »

So when the Audigy is advertised at >100dB, it just doesn't make sense. (that's like 60 times better)  Maybe they're measuring the software S/N (which has no noise) instead of hardware in a real-world environment.  It's a stumper.

In Creative's case, measuring it at all is of course optional.  All bow to the marketing gods.   ;)

Oh, and I love my Senns.  I looked into some others, including Grado's and some others.  I'm glad I went with the Senns (and the 555's aren't even that scary looking).

Ars Technica did a cool two part headphone review a while back.  It was a worthy read.

Part 1 - Portable Headphones
Part 2 - High Fi Headphones

Definitely check them both out.  The model that "won" the highest rating on the HiFi review was quite portable (if you can deal with that style of cans).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jgreen

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 07:36:20 pm »

Thank you both.  Your recs and the links to ars confirm that the Senn is the best-sounding thing out there.  And the most expensive.  And the biggest hunk of iron. 
Only I'm not sure how I could ever fit those huge cans around my tinfoil hat.  So for those instances when I just don't feel secure in doffing the Alcoa, and for portability as well, the Etymotic 4p's look like just the ticket.  Almost as good-sounding (according to Ars), and not nearly the UFO-attractant that the Senns appear to be. 
Ultimately, I'll need a pair of Senns, and a rubber room (for purposes of soundproofing).  But in the meantime I can take my show on the road much easier with the earbuds.

Now:  As for soundcard, it's beginning to look a lot like the M-audio Fast Track.  Anyone connaitre?  I've run out of available pcmcia slots, and nobody's making stuff yet for the stupid pc-express slot that's sitting there grinning at me.  So it's looking like USB audio, and there aren't a lot of choices, AFAICT.

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 07:44:04 pm »

I have the Sennheiser noise canceling headphones and they work great - the best part is the portability.  The Bose are better, but a lot more of a hassle to drag along with you.

The real find was a Logitech MM28 speaker.  This is a self-contained speaker system that is small enough to get tossed in the bag when I travel.  Great sound, really fills a room with an ipod or notebook.  Even worked great out on the patio.  Highly recommended.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 08:30:06 pm »

How about the Sennheiser CX 300S?  I have a pair of these earbuds and they sound great.  Nice and small too.  Because they're buds, they cancel most noise with the tight fit. Good reviews.

Link to Amazon

Shelly

• I love listening to music with Media Center!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 10:47:27 pm »

Suggest that you check out the SHURE E3 Sound Isolating Earphone Stereo Headphone.  Amazon has them for $139.00.  Outstanding sound, portable, and durable. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001FI51U/103-0118341-4113410?v=glance&n=172282

http://www.stereophile.com/headphones/504shure/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 11:17:27 pm »

the Etymotic 4p's look like just the ticket.

;D
 ;)

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 04:12:42 am »

So it's looking like USB audio, and there aren't a lot of choices, AFAICT.
I'm told this is good since the signal is digital all the way through to its DAC.

Almost considering one of these to replace my pc on-board sound card.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 06:18:43 am »

I have been happy with my Koss PortaPro headphones and M-Audio Transit USB sound card. They are portable, have fine audio quality and don't cost a fortune.

M-Audio Transit has probably as good output quality as Fast Track. Transit has a digital output connector for e.g. HT receivers. Fast Track is more suitable for recording purposes.

You may want to google for PortaPro & Transit reviews and prices.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

LonWar

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 07:13:55 am »

I don't do any prio audio stuff, but the new Creative cards are good, Especially if you are into gaming.

I have this one:
http://soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=14000
-

NickM

• Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 08:10:14 am »

I should order a StarFire subwoofer for your ordinary playback, listen to it for a few hours, then it doesn't really matter what sound card or head phones you use - you'll be partially deaf...
 ;D
nick

jgreen

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 10:52:09 am »

Nick--
Now that's the kind of thinking I can respect!

Alex B--
The transit, of course!  It was hidden on their website under "other devices", but that's exactly what I want:  hifi headphone output.  Thanks Alex, thanks to all!

JONCAT

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 12:48:11 pm »

Don't forget the Grado cans! And the 4p's are nice if you want a little more portability.

DC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2006, 02:13:15 pm »

Don't forget the Grado cans! And the 4p's are nice if you want a little more portability.

I tried out a couple of Grado sets... I felt they were too "bright".  That'd be great for Classical music, but it was a bit too much for me.  Definitely up there though, and worthy of consideration!

jgreen

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2006, 12:51:47 am »

Alex--
I checked out the Transit prior to buying and discovered that NONE of the M-audio USB products run USB 2.0.  They're all 1.1 only.  Now as I recall this particular aspect of the Curse of Bill, any USB 1.1 device present on a USB 2.0 net will reduce ALL USB 2.0 devices to running at 1.1 speeds.  True?  If so, that would scotch it for me, as I would be running USB 2.0 Drives which could never be slowed down to 1.1.

jgreen

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006, 06:32:19 pm »

Another thank you to all who helped me spend cash on gadgetry.  I ended up choosing the Etymotic 4p, and I am wildly pleased with them.  They isoltate so much noise that my only gripe is the thunderous honk of my nasal cavity as I breathe.

Matt, I took your observation re/sound quality vs specs to heart:  For now I'm sticking with my laptop's onboard DAC, if you can believe that.  The fact is that the sound is perfectly acceptible as currently configured, and I don't have to lug around an external box.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 08:51:33 pm »

great place to research everything you need: www.headfi.org.

Particularly, the 'computer as source' forum is great.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball
Pages: [1]   Go Up