INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Display, full screen, monitor select options  (Read 3658 times)

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
Display, full screen, monitor select options
« on: July 18, 2006, 10:05:20 pm »

Right now, whatever is set in the Display Settings option for fullscreen applies both to the detached display window and the UI when set to Display mode.

This can cause some confusion.

Perhaps in the dropdown list, in addition to the list of monitors, there could be an option for "Same" ie the UI maximizes in the same monitor as the current window, the detached display maximizes in the same monitor as well?

Or allow different monitors preferences for the UI vs the display window.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Display, full screen, monitor select options
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 10:20:37 pm »

Agreed.  We were just scratching our heads today about what (if any) of the options in that dialog need to remain.

I think resolution switching is probably a thing of the past with LCD monitors / projectors, but it works well and could come in handy for some people so we were reticent to remove it.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Marty3d

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 08:22:07 am »

I think resolution switching is probably a thing of the past with LCD monitors / projectors, but it works well and could come in handy for some people so we were reticent to remove it.
Absolutely! Since I'm from the stone age using a CRT monitor + CRT WS TV, I'm happy if the options stay...and I think that there is one or two more who likes it that way.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 05:59:47 pm »

I'm not sure if I made myself clear. I don't have any issues with resolution switching or anything like that.

The problem is the setting for which monitor the fullscreen display appears on.

If I have the UI on the primary monitor, detach the display, and move it to the secondary, then fullscreen, it will follow the display setting for going fullscreen. If this is the secondary, then the display window goes fullscreen there, and all is good.

However, if I then maximize the UI, it *also* thinks it is going fullscreen, and goes to the secondary monitor as well. The same thing happens if I don't detach the display, and double click to go to display mode.

What I am proposing: that there be an option for the UI and the display window to stay in whatever monitor they are in, when they go fullscreen.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 10:41:21 pm »

I agree again with gpvillamil on this.  That's just how Windows Media Player works.  It's simple and intuitive.

Where ever the playing window is, when you "fullscreen it" it uses that monitor.  When I first tried out the new detached display, the first thing I did was drag it to my second monitor (actually, I use the great UltraMon app which gives me an instant "send to other monitor button" next to close, restore, and minimize on my window titlebars), and double clicked it to fullscreen it there.  Of course, this didn't work.

I definitely think we should retain all of the settings under the Display Settings dialog (for those that want to use them), but just give us a Display Settings --> Full Screen --> Monitor --> Same As Current Display option (ala Desktop Resolution under Resolution).  I'd make it the default for new installs too.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 11:25:07 am »

I definitely think we should retain all of the settings under the Display Settings dialog (for those that want to use them), but just give us a Display Settings --> Full Screen --> Monitor --> Same As Current Display option (ala Desktop Resolution under Resolution).  I'd make it the default for new installs too.

Exactly!

modelmaker

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 01:38:19 pm »

I agree with both Marty3d and gpvillamil, as I am also from the stone age (glad to see there's more of us still around!) and have 3 CRTs and and a 32" tube TV.

Right now, whatever is set in the Display Settings option for fullscreen applies both to the detached display window and the UI when set to Display mode.

This can cause some confusion.

Perhaps in the dropdown list, in addition to the list of monitors, there could be an option for "Same" ie the UI maximizes in the same monitor as the current window, the detached display maximizes in the same monitor as well?

Or allow different monitors preferences for the UI vs the display window.
It sure would be nice to pick what goes where.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 03:01:55 pm »

I too am somewhat "old school" when it comes to monitors.  I have right now.... (Including my primary workstation at work):

4 x 22" CRTs (Samsung SyncMaster 1100's can't be beat)
2 x 19" CRTs (Gateway branded Sony Trinitrons)
3 x 17" CRTs (ViewSonics and one old Compaq)
1 x 15" Apple LCD (not connected to anything... I use it for portable stuff)
1 x 37" CRT TV (Beautiful older Panisonic)

Finding a flat-panel monitor with anything approaching accurate color controls (and especially one that can auto-calibrate using my SpiderPro), is darn near impossible.  If you do find one, they cost a large fortune.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 05:13:44 am »

* marko also backs the proposal

glynor....  WOW!!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 04:18:37 pm »

glynor....  WOW!!

Yeah.  I definitely have to enable the power management features -- at least where it comes to monitors.  Bangor HydroElectric gets some coin from me each month though...  >:(

Luckily, most of those (except the 4 22" ones and the TV) are not used as heavily and I keep them turned off when I'm not using them (the computers are on, but the monitors get switched off).  And power for 2 of the remaining 22"-ers are paid for by work (since they live there).

Also, I got somewhat lucky at work.  Our IT staff went on a monitor replacing spree a while back and swapped out almost all the older CRTs with Flat Panel montiors (which allows them to pack more people into each room you see).  Then they had about 100 perfectly good monitors sitting in a warehouse taking up space.... After about a year, they started to want to get rid of them badly.

All but the 2 22" monitors I have at home (and the TV of course) were free to me one way or another.  And since I have all the machines, they come in handy....

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 05:18:27 pm »

I have been on vacation the last couple of weeks and spent most of the time at our summer cottage without Internet access. Though, I have occasionally used MC12.0.32 on my laptop. I just tried the 36 & 39 builds the first time.

As I have said before, I was disappointed with the reduced display options. The new detachable display fixes things a lot. I am currently running two individual detached displays on separate zones. The Zone 1 is playing a video and the Zone 2 is displaying a slideshow with music.

I still miss the position slider and playback controls that are missing from the detached window.

In other words: The options are fine (if working correctly), but I would like to have the control bars back.

Actually, the new control system is quite obtrusive in standard undetached Display View. For video playback I would prefer the old narrow control bars. However, this is not a biggie and sometimes the new file info display can be useful.

Edit

I am installing the 40 build on my HTPC. I'll report back after I have tried the full screen options.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 02:29:21 pm »

If you want controls on the display, you can use Display View.

Detached display is designed for display only (in DJ-style environments, etc.) so any pollution of the display is a problem.  You can always use keyboard shortcuts, right-click menu, or MC on the main monitor to control the display.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 02:51:32 pm »

Just thought I'd say that I think this is the right approach Matt.

Again, thanks for fighting the good fight (whomever at JRiver decided to help us out on this one)!

Pages: [1]   Go Up