INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5G iPod Sync Issue with Cover Art  (Read 4341 times)

elpaolo

• World Citizen
5G iPod Sync Issue with Cover Art
« on: July 20, 2006, 01:52:29 pm »

New transfers onto my 5G iPod last night resulted in mixed up cover art for a number of albums.  For instance, cover art for Smashing Pumpkins somehow swapped places with Milosh, and Loner picked up Pavement's "Slanted and Enchanted" coverart.

Any ideas?  Sorry I'm not at home right now to post my sysinfo...but I know I have the latest build.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: 5G iPod Sync Issue with Cover Art
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 02:36:45 pm »

Have you updated the iPod software lately?  We're seeing several of these problems.  Check the portable device board here.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 08:47:52 pm »

This isn't the same issue, but it seems "related."  With my 5G iPod, I noticed that when I added cover art to some files, they were NOT considered "different" by MC when I did a sync, so they were not re-transferred.  It seems that MC (188) is not considering the addition of cover art as a reason to re-transfer files, meaning that a change to date and filesize (as well as to the "year" tag which was also edited) does not result in their being re-synched as new files.

I can confirm that I AM using the newest iPod update.

Larry

PS.  I have not tried build 189 yet, but I saw no indication in the update notes that this issue would be effected by the new build.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 10:05:49 pm »

This may be an ipod bug.

elpaolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 12:40:56 am »

gah...I don't have time to tinker with it now.  I'll try and get back on here next week...thanks for the attention though.   ;D

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 01:26:54 am »

This may be an ipod bug.

How would this be the case, and how can it be tested?  Since it's MC's function to figure out what does and does not need to be synched, if I change the file in MC and then do a "recheck sync,"  doesn't it fall upon MC to determine if the file is on the iPod or not?  For MC to "not realize" that these files have been changed seems to be within the domain of MC.

How does MC "check" to see if the file is on the iPod?  Doesn't it do some sort of comparison of the files themselves?  I "seems" like since the file has changed in MC but NOT on the iPod, MC would be able to recognize this during the "sync check."

Thanks for any clarifications on this,

Larry

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 11:07:16 am »

I have this issue. Cover Art is scrambled. Even songs within the same album have different cover art on the iPod, the cover art is correct in MC11.

iPod 5G, latest firmware.

I have heard that the problem occurs after iTunes is opened with the iPod plugged in, ie files are transferred with MC, then iTunes is opened, then more files transferred with MC. The files transferred after iTunes "sees" the iPod may have scrambled cover art. I have not been able to confirm this.

If this is the case - could there be an option in MC11 to "check" cover art against the MC library? This would also address the updated Cover Art issue also posted in this thread.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 11:24:09 am »

At this point, we think it's an iPod bug in the latest firmware.  Please try rolling back to an earlier version of the firmware.

If you think it's a conflict, try killing the iPod/iTunes software that runs in the background or uninstall iTunes.

Where did you "hear" that?

jalaneme

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 05:56:49 pm »

I'm on the 1.1 firmware and the latest firmware is 1.1.2 i have had this problem with media center aswell it messes up the album art when resynching so because of this it's back to itunes i go for album art, and if this is a firmware bug i would have thought it would affect syncing with itunes as well. i think to solve this media center needs to embed the album art into the mp3's instead just like itunes!

prod

• Play nice

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 03:45:45 am »

At this point, we think it's an iPod bug in the latest firmware.  Please try rolling back to an earlier version of the firmware.

If you think it's a conflict, try killing the iPod/iTunes software that runs in the background or uninstall iTunes.

Where did you "hear" that?

I am on the 1.1.1 firmware, I believe that is the earliest for the 5G iPod.

I heard about the potential iTunes problem on this forum.

msnell

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 06:09:36 pm »

As this last link suggested, I'd recommend taking iTunes off yoru PC and never using it again.

My 5G iPod was working fine, then when I installed iTunes to check it out, my cover art became scramlbed. As suggested in another post, I uninstalled iTunes, did a factory restore using the software tool from Apple, and reloaded my music mith Meda Center. All was good again.

georgegruk

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 02:53:43 pm »

Although I have no problems with art work + ipod 5G, I do agree that MC does not recognise art work changes thus any changes are not transferred. You would have to remove files from MC, sync ipod and then re-import music to MC apply art work and re-sync. What I do, is apply art work direct into the files tag, so when imported into MC the art work is there and it's not affected by changes (ie tag changes/file re-naming)
Hope it helps! Cheers!

SwellGuy

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 05:13:12 pm »

georgegruk,

See this post...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35699.0

This is being tested right now and some form of it will soon be adopted for default functionality.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 10:03:43 am »

I am seeing the same iPod album art issue on my iPod Photo.  Many of the podcasts that I load are showing art from random albums.  There have been no recent firmware updates for the Photo, and I am running the latest version (1.2.1).

SwellGuy

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2006, 07:04:32 am »

We're looking into the cover art scramble now...
Pages: [1]   Go Up