INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: more image cataloguing musings...  (Read 1137 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
more image cataloguing musings...
« on: July 24, 2006, 08:21:12 am »

tif images:
Why do tif image thumbnails look totally naff in MC compared to jpg thumbs?

tif images are big. if there's layers involved, they're really big.
I was thinking that once edited, saved, and a suitable jpg exported from them, there mightn't be a whole lot of need for them to reside on the HDD. If I backed them up onto DVD, I'd still want a way to link back to the offline tif file from the exported jpg, and figured I could probably bend my whereisit? viewscheme to do just that quite easily....

this thread, (Viewing image files on CDs........ is there a setting somewhere......) worries me though. I wonder if MC12 will fair better in this dept? Don't those 'other apps' do this using the thumbnail cache, only searching the disc when an image is specifically called for? I'd imagine using DVDs full of large tif files might be akin to trying to run through a pool of treacle?

A lot of what I'm doing here is donkey work that, imvho, of course, MC should be taking care of for me, but meanwhile, I'm pretty pleased with how things are progressing. Otto is working so sweetly with my chosen image options, importing and displaying edited, newly saved images nigh on instantly, right there beside their originals, ready for tagging. Really neat stuff. Things are coming along in leaps and bounds now....
New images are tagged and filed immediately on importing now, so, the theory is, the mountain of catch-up work can only get smaller, which is all I ever asked for (kind of ;) )

any more thoughts re. syncing [caption] between MC and the IPTC tag? How sweet that would be.

I've not re-visited my scanning old kodak prints project yet, but I've a feeling that unless v12 comes up with some new options, I won't be able to effectively use MC for that job. Plenty of time yet before I get to that though...

so far, an overall 'thumbs up', with just a few mild irritations... note the very annoying 'rotating thumbnail text' as captured under the right hand image above? I wish it wouldn't do that when I'm trying to work ;)

-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up