INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tagging mode - workflow observation  (Read 1693 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
tagging mode - workflow observation
« on: July 26, 2006, 01:56:39 pm »

tagging images using panes+tagging mode is both quick and easy.

However, here's a couple of observations:

If you tag quickly, it's quite easy to get ahead of MC as it takes (relatively speaking) quite a long time to apply the tag/tick the box. Thankfully, it does a reasonable job of cacheing the mouse clicks, and does catch up with you eventually. Now and again though, MC loses track and so you need to go back and click again. It also means a part of the users focus is taken up with keeping an eye on MC to make sure it's keeping up.

there is a difference of behaviour between 'list type' and 'standard type' panes:

In a list type pane, if all files have the same value, ie, ticked, and you click on that tick, it removes that tag, and if there are no other tags in the list, the files become automatically 'unassigned'. I like this.

Standard type panes work the other way though. If you want to 'unassign' a tag in a standard type pane, you must actually find unassigned down the bottom of the pane and click on it. I don't like this.

While only a small thing, it definately ripples the workflow when working with a combo of list type and standard type panes. It would make things much smoother if all panes could unassign using the same method as the list type panes. I keep clicking a tick in a standard pane to clear it, then when nothing happens, perhaps I got too far ahead of MC, so click it again, nothing happens, again, oh, wait, standard pane, scroll away down to unassigned and click that...

see what I mean?

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
Re: tagging mode - workflow observation
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 10:11:20 am »

When ripping a CD that has no info retrieved from YADB, it is quite hard to find where to click for the year.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: tagging mode - workflow observation
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 09:22:24 am »

tagging images using panes+tagging mode is both quick and easy.

However, here's a couple of observations:

If you tag quickly, it's quite easy to get ahead of MC as it takes (relatively speaking) quite a long time to apply the tag/tick the box. Thankfully, it does a reasonable job of cacheing the mouse clicks, and does catch up with you eventually. Now and again though, MC loses track and so you need to go back and click again. It also means a part of the users focus is taken up with keeping an eye on MC to make sure it's keeping up.

there is a difference of behaviour between 'list type' and 'standard type' panes:

In a list type pane, if all files have the same value, ie, ticked, and you click on that tick, it removes that tag, and if there are no other tags in the list, the files become automatically 'unassigned'. I like this.

Standard type panes work the other way though. If you want to 'unassign' a tag in a standard type pane, you must actually find unassigned down the bottom of the pane and click on it. I don't like this.

While only a small thing, it definately ripples the workflow when working with a combo of list type and standard type panes. It would make things much smoother if all panes could unassign using the same method as the list type panes. I keep clicking a tick in a standard pane to clear it, then when nothing happens, perhaps I got too far ahead of MC, so click it again, nothing happens, again, oh, wait, standard pane, scroll away down to unassigned and click that...

see what I mean?

I completely agree. Personally, I always hated trying to find "Unassigned" in the list. Something like that, if you're going to go that route, should either always be at the top or always at the bottom, preferably at the top.
Pages: [1]   Go Up