INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Root View Scheme - How do you configure yours?  (Read 1419 times)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Root View Scheme - How do you configure yours?
« on: July 29, 2006, 04:18:24 am »

Use smaller view schemes or larger thumbs and you won't need a menu at all.

We feel child view schemes aren't important enough to force a tree expand.  I for one rarely use them since I configure the roots to be just how I like.

Matt this brings up a good point, how do you configure your root view schemes?

For me and audio, I have moods, date genre, styles, artist, and albums set as the fields with no search terms to filter.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Root View Scheme - How do you configure yours?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 04:44:08 am »

My root schemes are simple affairs, designed for for quick find and play...

Audio, for example, is [album artist (auto)] by letter, [album artist (auto)] and [album]
It has all duplicates filtered out atm (under review) and a seperate root "Albums" view that has no exclusions, just mt=audio
I find the single letter view works better for me in browser views (easier to scan visually) than the "alphabet" method

=================================

My tree is a bit of a mess atm while I face up to the awful possibility of there being no "favourites" system in v12.
Previously, my list would contain shortcuts to to few choice smartlists neatly buried away under playlists. Go there, hit the play button, move along... So swift, so simple. I'd be playing music in three mouse clicks. Now it's countless mouse clicks to get at the smartlist... not so good, so I'm experimenting a bit...

Adding new root schemes makes a real mess of the new tree too, double dose of not so good...
I'll let you know how the dust settles. Things are so bad without a faves list I can't believe v12 will ship without one to be honest. History has trained me to have a contingency plan in place though.

I still want to keep my root schemes as simple as possible...
I still want to keep the tree clutter to a minimum...
there's a bitter battle being fought atm, because I also want the minimum click count to get at what I want....

======================

If the top level nodes won't auto expand when selected, perhaps they could be made to drop down when hovered over for a few seconds? like those 'personalised' menus that microsoft uses around and about in their software. A slow second click expands the node, but then there's always the chance of sending the entire audio/image/video list into playing now...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 11:58:29 am »

My root schemes are simple affairs, designed for for quick find and play...

My root schemes are all empty.  I use only child view schemes.  The roots serve only as filters.

We feel child view schemes aren't important enough to force a tree expand.  I for one rarely use them since I configure the roots to be just how I like.

How do you decide on just one method?  The reason I like MC is that it can look at my library in such a flexible variety of different ways...

Sometimes Genre/Artist/Album is fastest/most-intuitive/right
Sometimes Genre/Subgenre/Artist is right
Sometimes Keyword/Artist/Album is right
Sometimes Artist (Grouped)/Artist (Ungrouped)/Album is right
Sometimes Event/Place/Date is right
and so on and so on...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 01:11:22 pm »

Adding new root schemes makes a real mess of the new tree too, double dose of not so good...

I've just caught up with you on this Marko, definitley messy.
Also it seems you can't move child views out into the root for some reason?
Pages: [1]   Go Up