INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ - Crashes, Stalls & Lockups  (Read 927 times)

oxbowbob

MJ - Crashes, Stalls & Lockups
« on: September 13, 2002, 05:07:55 pm »

This is pretty hard to believe.  I used MJ 8 for the 30 day trial with not one hint of a problem.  It performed flawlessly...editing tags, CD labels...it did everything it said it would do.  That all ended when I paid my $24.98.  I've had nothing but problems ever since my program was registered.  Please note this program is installed on a squeaky clean system from a fresh system reinstall.  It has all the memory & space it could ever ask for & the rest of the computer is purring like a kitten.  I can't even count how many times I've uninstalled MJ, but I used MJ's own uninstall plus Norton & the Windows uninstall.  I've DL'd the version updates all with the same results.

The first problem was with the CD Labeler.  I had made about 15 or 20 labels during the trial period...all with not one problem.  These were not complicated labels...no images or anything fancy....we're talking strictly text here.  After registering I attempted similar labels.  Now mind you...the only change to my system between being able to make labels & not was the registration.  After creating the label I hit the print button...it brought up my printer for a second, but did nothing.  It didn't keep the printer online and any repeated steps to print or make adjustments in the label would just scramble the entire label window.  At first I thought I had a printer problem, but all other programs both before & after the scramble will print without a flaw.  I did this with the same results at least 10 times.  Reboot, cold boot, reinstall...same results.  I tried saving the label before I printed it...when I opened it up again, it was scrambled.  I was forced to learn the Nero labeler and just stick MJ in the can.

Next to go was the tag/property editor.  I really loved this feature during the trial.  That didn't last long.  If I attempt to edit any amount of tags in the editor it will let me go through the motions, but when I click update it will just stall with the "Saving information" window stuck open.  I even tried to up date the properties one at a time in the play window and it would do a few and then stall.

I've had fatal system errors and lock ups that just were not happening before I registered and they have all been with JUST this program.

One final thought about all this is that with all the reinstalls & ver updates I did of MJ I did not one time did I have to put in the registration code.  That leads me to believe that when I uninstalled it there was something left behind that had the code stored.  I don't know enough to know where that may be or how to fix it, but maybe this is part of the problem.

OK...this is my last thought...really:)  This one may be partly my fault, but I was a little annoyed that after shelling out my cash for the full working version I find out that to get the "Plus" version I'd have to put out some more????  Did I miss some fine print?

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.370
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium III 547 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 522 MB, Free - 428 MB
Resource Info: System - 77 %, GDI - 84 %, User - 77 %

Internet Explorer: 5.00.2614.3500
ComCtl32.dll: 5.00.2614.3500
Shlwapi.dll: 5.00.2614.3500
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600
wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:MJ - Crashes, Stalls & Lockups
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2002, 05:34:14 pm »

OK, Bob.  It will help if you can just slow down and separate the real problems from how you feel.  Nobody's trying to tear your money out of your hands.

Sounds like something could be flakey with the machine or OS, so try this first.  Run IE, do Tools, Windows Update, and follow Microsoft's advice on what to update.

Also, try installing ASPI.  It's in the FAQ on CD burning.

Clean out your Internet temp files by running IE/Internet Options/Temporary Internet Files/Delete files.

Once you've done all that, let us know what works and what doesn't.

The updating of the tags is probably the first place to start, because it's easier to diagnose.  If it isn't working something in the system isn't working.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

oxbowbob

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2002, 08:59:10 am »

I tried all of your suggestions.  I updated IE & all the MS updates.  I cleaned out my internet files & installed ASPI.  When I ran it I got the message "all aspi files installed properly & functioning".

I attempted to update some tags.  It worked for the first few trying one at a time, but then starting acting up again.  There's no set pattern other than it doesn't work for very long or for very many tags when it does work.  A reboot doesn't mean that it will start working for even a few...it may or may not.

You mentioned that there may be something wrong with my machine or OS & I can surely understand why that would be the case a lot of the time.  I'd like to point out that when MJ won't update the tags I can switch to Winamp and it will update them 100% of the time...no reboot or cleaning any files.  Of course I can only do one at a time which is a big drawback.  Wouldn't this program act the same if it was a computer problem?

I guess while I'm here I should ask this question also.  When I open my files in the play window they all have a box with a red note inside the box next to them.  I remember that there always was an icon there, but I just don't remember it being this red note.  Is that what was always there/or should be there?

I didn't try the labeler at all...didn't see any reason if the tags weren't working.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this board, but I've been a little busy.  I'm also going out of town for at least a week on Friday, so it may be a while before I can get back here.

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.370
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium III 548 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 522 MB, Free - 433 MB
Resource Info: System - 80 %, GDI - 92 %, User - 80 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4916.400
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600
wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995
Aspi32.sys: N/A

Doof

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2002, 11:11:11 am »

The red note icon means that the files aren't imported into MJ's library.

And the full working version IS the Plus version.
Pages: [1]   Go Up