INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installation thoughts  (Read 1278 times)

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
Installation thoughts
« on: August 02, 2006, 08:26:15 am »

When installing MC alot of times per week (like we all do in this group), I find it bothersome to repeat a lot of steps.

So I thought about it and came up with these two possible improvements:
1. When choosing Custom installation (been doing this since Win95, I don't trust what happens when you choose Express),  MC remembers most previous settings, but the last, namely Create Shortcuts. MC always wants to set all three, but I always untick desktop and Quick Launch. It would be great if MC also remembered this part.

2. I know, you shouldn't be installing alot of programs in the first place, but after a number of years in this business, you wind up having ALOT of items in your Start menu, especially on developing machines. The last couple of years I have started moving items to subfolders to minimize the clutter in the root, but this as you know, leaves a bunch of dead items when you uninstall programs, since the link is broken for the installer. Could you at JRiver perhaps add another step to the installation, like letting the user choose where the programs icons should end up in the Start menu? This would be SO great!

Thanks!
/Martin

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Installation thoughts
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 08:51:46 am »

Use Express for upgrades.  It won't (re)create shortcuts or start menu items.

We only allow "Custom" for upgrades because in some rare cases users want to force shortcuts to be rebuilt.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 08:52:44 am »

You can also tick the "Auto Install after 30 seconds" box so that MC installs itself if you launch the installer and wait a little.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 09:32:34 am »

The installer doesn't remember that "Associate with audio CDs" was unticked on previous install.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up