INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Losing Tag Information  (Read 1994 times)

Two Wire

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
Losing Tag Information
« on: August 06, 2006, 10:14:46 pm »

I have fought this battle for over a year and a half. It is time consuming and very discouraging. Here is the problem. When I add tracks to the library, the bios field fails to show its contents for about half of the tracks. I may have have fifty tracks by a particular artist, and ten bios fields  may be empty. For another artist they may all be empty. Yet, for a third artist, maybe one field is empty. And for a forth, they may all be correctly filled. I spend hours correcting these omissions, using the Action Window taging tool.  At some point in the future when I clear the library and import the files again, I have the same problem, but maybe to different artist. I know the information is still within the files because it shows up when I use another mp3 player.

Another issue I had was the contents from many of the bios fields would show up in the comment field. Deleting and pasting the information back to the bios field would not be permenant. Once I cleared the library and re-imported the files the problem would reappear, but not necessariarly to the same files. The way I solved this was by putting a period in each of the empty comments field.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

(It may be unreasonable, but I want to store all data in the tags of each of the individual files. I know this is repetitive and wasteful  of disk space, but that is what I want. )

Aldirt

• Change this by choosing profile
Re: Loosing Tag Information
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 04:37:34 am »

I have the same problems with the bios field and custom fields I`ve created, e.g review,label...I use now the field notes for the reviews.This works, but after a new file location and a reimport the next custom field (Label) moves his content to the comment field.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Loosing Tag Information
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 05:11:36 am »

How did the BIOS get into the file (what program was used to originally put the tags in the files)?

Have you tried "Update Library from tags"?

i have found sometimes MC will not load in all the tags and sometimes if you use that option it may clear up some like "duration" and "Kbps" not sure about bios.

I also am not sure what causes this other than the file may have some corruption in it.

it may also have something to do with the media file format, or how it was tagged originally so you should find a file, test the above to see if it works. JRiver may want a copy of the file so they can fix this in future builds.

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
Re: Losing Tag Information
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 08:22:19 am »

I have seen similar issues as well.

Bios field I had removed the bios then used the update tags from library command, yet the bios would reappear after the next import.

Also, in the AlbumArtist tag, I have several files that revert from the artist's name to simply the first letter of their name. Although I have repeatedly corrected this and updated the tags this also reverts on next import.

Apparently in both cases the Update Tags From Library function does not actually update the tags, or they would have no way to revert.
. . . the game is rigged

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 01:17:16 pm »

Two Wire,

Do you use other tagging programs besides MC? Other programs may not properly support the Bios and Comment tag formats that MC uses.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Two Wire

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 10:12:20 pm »

Ok guys! Thanks for your quick responses and support. This is what makes this forum one of the best out there in cyber space.

Here are some answers to your questions.
I have thousands of files, most of which were tagged using Musicmatch Jukebox (this was long before I discovered MC). However, using the Tag Info tool in the Action Window, I have re-tagged the bios and comment fields many times. I assume if the fields are read correctly here then they must be in the right place within the files themselves? I also use the update tags from library command. The dialog box shows the update was successful, but I still have the missing fields on the next import.

I am not a programmer, but it would seem to me that even though files were tagged with one program and then re-tagged with still another program, the tags should be accurately read with the last program used (in this case MC). If not, how do all the late comers to MC get their imports to work successfully?

I don’t know if this issue can be resolved if the initial tagging was done outside of MC. I thought there might be an unchecked box somewhere that I overlooked. I wonder if MC processes the imports so quickly it skips these fields Periodically. Thanks, Alex and King Sparta.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 05:28:10 am »

the tags should be accurately read with the last program used

Not always true.

Musicmatch depending on the version saves tags differently. so it could also be due to the version of musicmatch you are using or used.

maybe a test is in order with a test file and the latest version of music match. by removing the tags both id3 and music match tags. then load the file in music match and tag it manually, then attempt to import it into MC11

if it works then you know mc11 is compatible with the latest version of Musicmatch.

if it does not work then there could be a compatibility problem\bug.

if it does work maybe with music match you can force a save with the latest version of music match and then attempt a import with MC11

if it does not work, this may be a bug in MC11 (since it should read musicmatch tags) this may not get fixed in MC11, and may need to wait till the next announced version of MC

To make this clear, you're not losing tag info in MC. Your MusicMatch Tags are not always being imported into MC11 Correct?

Fayetteville, NC, USA

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 07:09:54 am »

To make this clear, you're not losing tag info in MC. Your MusicMatch Tags are not always being imported into MC11 Correct?

In my case with the AlbumArtist tag not sticking, these are flac files that were never tagged anywhere else but in MC since they were converted from freshly ripped wav files. Yet in spite of repeated attempts to tag this field )on these several dozen particular files) it continues to revert back to the first letter only rather than the Artist's full name as the tag has been changed to.

Any ideas here?
. . . the game is rigged

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 10:52:10 am »

In my case with the AlbumArtist tag not sticking, these are flac files

Well flac is not directly supported in MC by J river, if i am not mistaken that may be a 3rd party problem and i heard there was or is a new version that came out or is coming out.

So I think the Flac is another issue and should have it's own thread in the 3rd party forum if this is still a problem.
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up