INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 12.0.51  (Read 7239 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 12.0.51
« on: August 08, 2006, 06:39:25 pm »

Download:

[ build pulled by JimH for iPod problems ]

12.0.51 (8/8/06)

1. NEW: Theater View skins can support different background images at different locations. (see Noire for an example)
2. Fixed: Scrolling with the mouse wheel in the tag window would be slower than expected.
3. Fixed: Some actions that would update the size of position of windows inside the program could disrupt the focus for the search box and other UI pieces.
4. Changed: Revised how tag window fields are picked.
5. NEW: Some check-style menus can stay visible while items are checked instead of disappearing after each tick. (see Tag window for example)
6. Fixed: Image playback statistics were not being collected properly.
7. Changed: Seeking forward no longer allows seeks past the end of the file.
8. NEW: Caption field for Images.
9. NEW: Media Center writes pre-sort indexes to iPod database to improve navigation speed.
10. Changed: Several iPod compatibility tweaks.

12.0.50 (8/7/06)

1. Changed: Action Windows don't have minimize and close buttons. (one or the other)
2. Fixed: When using small thumbnails in lists with many images, scrolling fast could cause a crash.
3. Fixed: If auto-import was removing a missing file that was also in Playing Now, it could cause a dead-lock.
4. Optimized: Building stacks for thumbnails views operates up to four times faster.
5. Fixed: Some existing IPTC tags (ones not recognized by MC) did not get saved when IPTC tags got written out.
6. Changed: Some tag window tweaks.

12.0.48 (8/4/06)

1. Changed: For DirectShow video thumbnailing, Sample Grabber method is no longer used when DirectVobSub filter is involved.
2. Changed: For DirectShow video thumbnailing, Sample Grabber method is no longer used for DVR-MS file type.
3. NEW: Skins support specifying an alpha for menu translucancy. (see Noire for an example)
4. NEW: Tooltips do a quick fade in when displaying.
5. Changed: Removed thumbnail list scroll animation -- made program feel slower instead of smoother.

12.0.47 (8/3/06)

1. NEW: Added thumbnail list animation to smooth scrolling, thumb sizing, and view changes.
2. Optimized: File arrays (used everywhere -- database, lists, searches, etc.) use 1/2 the memory and operate faster.
3. Optimized: Improved loading speed of and memory usage for databases with many large playlists.
4. Changed: Search friendly style tokens are displayed using translated field display names instead of internal field names.
5. Changed: Search box menu now displays field names as translated display names. (instead of translated internal names)
6. Fixed: Sort cache could require more sorts than expected before a search would load out of cache.
7. Fixed: The search box menu would not be clickable when a friendly token was scrolled over it.
8. Changed: When changing thumbnail sizes, the view does a better job of staying centered on the same images.
9. Fixed: IE7b3 no longer causes connectivity problems.
10. NEW: Writes IPTC tags to JPEG image files.

12.0.46 (8/1/06)

1. Fixed: DirectShow video player could not handle Windows Media security upgrade when playing licensed WM video.
2. Optimized: Starting playback of a large slideshow of images is many times faster.
3. Optimized: Drag-n-drop of large numbers of files into a playlist is many times faster.
4. Optimized: Doing actions that caused a refresh while large numbers of files were selected is now many times faster.
5. Optimized: Deleting large numbers of files from a playlist can be several times faster.
6. Optimized: When many files were selected in a list, switching focus to and from the list is now faster.
7. Optimized: "Automatic" list style is faster at choosing details vs thumbnnails for large lists.
8. Optimized: Playing large lists of images while audio is playing uses far less memory and starts much faster.
9. Optimized: Improved the performance of switching views.
10. Fixed: 2D visualization selection wasn't working for languages other that english.
11. Changed: CDLabeler is now skinned and translated.

12.0.45 (7/31/06)

1. Changed: "Documents" tree item is no longer shown in the same row as audio, images, video.
2. Changed: Tag window better handles files with empty name or date fields.
3. Changed: Action Window header text stays centered even with an uneven number of buttons on each side.
4. Changed: When copying from a thumbnail list to the clipboard, the text component is empty. (instead of showing column headers with no data)
5. Optimized: Improved performance when dropping or pasting large numbers of files into a list.
6. Optimized: Improved speed when dealing with large playlists.
7. Fixed: Long lists of thumbnails would be slower than expected during scrolling.
8. Changed: When scrolling in a list with thumbnails that aren't built, thumbnails will get built top-down instead of bottom-up.
9. Changed: Minor UI tweaks in DirectShow player (contex menu rearrangement, dialog control resizing etc.).
10. Fixed: Library backup / restore dialogs would lock the database while visible -- causing a possible hang of the application.
11. Fixed: In the Tag Action Window, clicking a rating while another field was being edited could cause a crash.
12. Changed: If only one file that couldn't play in Playing Now, Media Center would loop playback until there were 3 consecutive playback errors.
13. Fixed: Videos that failed to load weren't being properly handled.
14. Fixed: Stoppping a video (or playing a new video) right when a video was loading could cause a dead-lock.
15. Changed: MP3 decoder was using debug code -- causing slowdowns compared to MC 11. (in Audio Analysis, etc.)
16. Fixed: Creating a Virtual Device that pointed to the same location as files imported into Media Center could cause import to import duplicates.
17. Changed: New tree control used in MC 12 wouldn't scroll / auto-expand during drag-n-drop.

12.0.44 (7/28/06)

1. Changed: Video Priority filter is no longer used.
2. Fixed: MPC encoder was not installing properly.
3. Fixed: Any thumbnail list with more than one file that used the same thumbnail could cause a crash.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Media Center 12.0.51
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 06:40:05 pm »

If you have an iPod, please give it a shot with this build.  There were several enhancements, with the most notable the pre-sorting of lists to speed up browsing.

LonWar

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 07:24:34 pm »

If you have an iPod, please give it a shot with this build.  There were several enhancements, with the most notable the pre-sorting of lists to speed up browsing.

Do I have to re sync the entire ipod, or can I just add a few tracks to see the dif?
-

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 07:55:26 pm »

This seems to have fixed the scrambled cover art issue on iPods.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 08:13:37 pm »

Do I have to re sync the entire ipod, or can I just add a few tracks to see the dif?

You should only need to transfer (or delete) a few files.

jgreen

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 08:50:13 pm »

Scroll wheel acceleration in tag works as elsewhere, thanks!

I think tree panel navigation is getting easier, although I'd like to point out a couple of snags:

--In "Playing Now" vs ""Playlists", which window gets the vast majority of room depends on who got there first.  And the difference is dramatic:  80/20 or 20/80 vs 50/50.  I think this slows things down.

--If you open playlists first, then load Playing Now, the PN window is TINY.  Now that you have your playlist in a view, why not collapse the playlist tree?  OOOPS--If you click on the right-hand arrow to collapse the playing now tree, focus in the view is shifted from your previous playlist (say, Top Hits) to the global "Playlists".  You cannot (manually) minimize the playlists tree and keep focus on the playlist you selected.

--Will Tag accept expression-based fields?  It doesn't seem like it, as I only have one expression-based field and it's the only field missing.

--When i try to play DVDs I'm still getting that odd postage-stamp sized piece of black, with a taskbar label "Media Center DVD Player" and nothing else.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 08:54:02 pm »

You should only need to transfer (or delete) a few files.

Uh, I was syncing fine last night, now after what I thought was a successfull sync, showed no files on my ipod interface, then when I try to pull it up in MC, it says that there is 15.4 gb's of space used and when I try to sync, I can't becuase MC says I am going over the space limit.

What do you think happened?  Do I have to re-initialize?
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 08:58:02 pm »

--When i try to play DVDs I'm still getting that odd postage-stamp sized piece of black, with a taskbar label "Media Center DVD Player" and nothing else.

Have you tried DVD Settings? Using or not using VMR9? Choosing a video decoder?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 09:16:54 pm »

Uh, I was syncing fine last night, now after what I thought was a successfull sync, showed no files on my ipod interface, then when I try to pull it up in MC, it says that there is 15.4 gb's of space used and when I try to sync, I can't becuase MC says I am going over the space limit.

What do you think happened?  Do I have to re-initialize?

I'm afraid so.  There must be some gotcha.  If you can reproduce it, please post the steps.

Thanks.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 09:27:56 pm »

I'm afraid so.  There must be some gotcha.  If you can reproduce it, please post the steps.

Thanks.

I think I just plugged it in to my computer and hit sync in MC.

It is possible that since it was low on batteries after sitting in my car all day, that at first when it was charging, something didn't go well with the sync, but im not sure.

I can see by exploring, that all the files are actually on the ipod.  No big deal, I will just re-sync everything tonight.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 09:33:43 pm »

I think I just plugged it in to my computer and hit sync in MC.

It is possible that since it was low on batteries after sitting in my car all day, that at first when it was charging, something didn't go well with the sync, but im not sure.

I can see by exploring, that all the files are actually on the ipod.  No big deal, I will just re-sync everything tonight.

Try a few files first.  There may be an issue with your particular version of iPod.  If you're able to reproduce any strangeness, what type of iPod are you using?

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 09:41:21 pm »

Try a few files first.  There may be an issue with your particular version of iPod.  If you're able to reproduce any strangeness, what type of iPod are you using?

ipod version 4 grayscale.

LonWar

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 09:55:23 pm »

ipod version 4 grayscale.

Same thing happened to me... I can't see any track on my pod.
Mine is 5gen (Photo)
-

LonWar

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 09:59:46 pm »

Plugged it back in, and got a MC12.exe runtime box, MC then crashed and closed.

-

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 11:22:33 pm »

Library backup does not work when viewing library tiles, as the interface dissapears from XP, while the music continues to play.  Any other view option such as panes, and the backup works fine.

bytestar

• MC Beta Team
  • Alpha/Betatester
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2006, 05:12:05 am »

Thanks for fixing the Get Properties from Filename Bug. it works now great in German.  :D
Thanks for the many new string which I now can translate.  ;D

This Bug is still exist for me...  ?
7. Changed: Seeking forward no longer allows seeks past the end of the file.
Official Microsoft © product tester.
Download the latest language file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQ3L_bTnnzv4otXL9-G4rUj9wX6Tw?e=TLGgjb (is constantly updated)

NoCodeUK

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2006, 09:19:49 am »

Same as others when trying to sync to ipod.  After ejecting I get no files show on ipod but ipod reports it is nearly full.  Not good!  Defo don't think things can be released to others yet if its going to trash iPod.

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2006, 10:20:38 am »

I can't reproduce the iPod issues.  I've tried 4 different iPods.

Can anyone provide a simple step-by-step to reproduce after a reinitialize?  For example, if you send only one file, does it work?  What if there's only one playlist?  What's the breaking point?

Thanks.

LonWar

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2006, 10:39:28 am »

Everytime I hook up my Ipod to MC, it now hangs...
When I get home, I'll reformat the pod and try to import something.

Last night, I just let it auto synch. This is the first build that I have had problems with
-

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2006, 12:49:25 pm »

Theater view :
- control button doesn't do anything
- Sometimes my selected track info doesn't display, when exiting theater view and then enter it again, it's back
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2006, 01:22:08 pm »

I hate to say it, but I really don't like what was done with the Tag window in this build (or was it in .50?).

I liked being able to specify groups of tags to display, like "Show Empty Tags" "Show Non Empty Tags" etc. Having to pick and choose individual tags to show now really makes this thing an absolute bear to use.

Why was this changed? The Tag Window in MC12 seems to be taking a lot of steps backwards IMO.

Also, the "Other Media Type Tags" thing seems to be broken. I select an audio file, click on "Other Media Type Tags" and I'm presented with "Bad Pixels, Episode, Series, People, Places, Events" etc. How are these related to the media type of audio?

I don't a ton of tagging, but when I do, I want the software to work with me, not bury everything in such a way that when I want to fill in an empty tag I have to scroll through a huge list of available tags to find the one I want, select it, then click on it to fill it in. The Tag AW wasn't perfect before this change, but it was much better than this. I really think you should take a look at what made MC11's tag window useful (the groups, visible tags, etc) and combine that with the strengths of MC12's. What's there right now is just really painful to use.

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2006, 01:40:15 pm »

I like the semi columns tag action screen but not when going to another file it goes back to the default tag screen in stead of staying at the semi column tag screen.

for the rest I agree with Doof

I hate to say it, but I really don't like what was done with the Tag window in this build (or was it in .50?).

I liked being able to specify groups of tags to display, like "Show Empty Tags" "Show Non Empty Tags" etc. Having to pick and choose individual tags to show now really makes this thing an absolute bear to use.

Why was this changed? The Tag Window in MC12 seems to be taking a lot of steps backwards IMO.

Also, the "Other Media Type Tags" thing seems to be broken. I select an audio file, click on "Other Media Type Tags" and I'm presented with "Bad Pixels, Episode, Series, People, Places, Events" etc. How are these related to the media type of audio?

I don't a ton of tagging, but when I do, I want the software to work with me, not bury everything in such a way that when I want to fill in an empty tag I have to scroll through a huge list of available tags to find the one I want, select it, then click on it to fill it in. The Tag AW wasn't perfect before this change, but it was much better than this. I really think you should take a look at what made MC11's tag window useful (the groups, visible tags, etc) and combine that with the strengths of MC12's. What's there right now is just really painful to use.
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2006, 02:13:14 pm »

Tags for other media types.  Perhaps we should hide them all together.

I don't a ton of tagging, but when I do, I want the software to work with me, not bury everything in such a way that when I want to fill in an empty tag I have to scroll through a huge list of available tags to find the one I want, select it, then click on it to fill it in.

This is why we changed it.  Before, empty tags would be hidden by default.  Now, you say what tags you work with and then they're always one-click away.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2006, 02:19:22 pm »

There is still no way to remove an accidental rating (it was possible in MC11.1).

That can be a problem for example with rating based smartlists or if the user just wants to keep the files unrated until they are properly evalueted.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2006, 02:27:18 pm »

There is still no way to remove an accidental rating (it was possible in MC11.1).

Actually you can if you click a little to the right of the stars (just like in the file list).  This isn't very clear, but I'm not sure what would make it more clear.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2006, 02:38:46 pm »

Actually you can if you click a little to the right of the stars (just like in the file list). This isn't very clear, but I'm not sure what would make it more clear.

Thanks.

How about usind the SHELL32.DLL icon #240 (or similar) as a symbol?

http://www.glennslayden.com/shell32_icons.htm
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2006, 03:00:14 pm »

I cannot get previously unimported cue files imported or even the tracks correctly displayd in Playing Now. I tried all available import methods.

Also, mpl files that contain cue tracks with playback ranges don't import the tracks correctly.

The old cue tracks in a restored MC11.1 library are fine.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2006, 03:59:40 pm »

The problem with this is that I might not always want the same tags displayed when I'm just browsing, but then when I want to do some tagging, I need to navigate that menu multiple times to add the various fields I want to edit. It's a huge step backwards from 11, and even earlier builds of 12. For instance, I may not care to see what the Lyrics tag contains while browsing my library, but I still want to easily access this field to edit it. This holds true for all sorts of fields.

I realize everybody has their own ideas of what's best, but I really can't believe too many people will like it this way when compared to 11.1.

This is how I would like to see it...

Show Filled Tags      > Shows all Non-Read Only Tags with data in them
Show Empty Tags      > Shows all Non-Read Only Tags without data in them
Show Read Only Tags   > Shows all Read Only Tags
Show Media Specific Tags   > Shows Tags specific to the currently selected file's media type
Show Tags In Current View   > Shows Tags that are displayed in the current view even if they don't fit in with any of the above choices
Show Tag Categories   > Splits the Tag AW into the categories defined in the Tag's properties
Show Format Summary   > Displays the information that this always used to
Show/Hide Specific Tags   > Displays the full list of tags and allows for tag-level override of the above settings
Select All
Deselect All

I think something like this would give us the best of both worlds. We can easily and quickly display or hide entire groups of fields, and still fine tune it to our liking. It brings back Categories for those who liked and depended on them as well as gives us back the ability to view only the current view's tags (which was a feature I personally used all the time). Basically it would give us everything we used to have along with all the nice things we get with the current system.

When displaying the various tags, MC would go through and display the selected groups, show or hide any specific fields the user has specified, divide them up into their categories if necessary, and then display it in the nice pleasing way that 12 does currently.

And then in an ideal world, you could let us define our own categories, and define what media types custom fields belong to.

At that point, I think MC12 would have the tag editor that it so richly deserves. Because honestly, as it stands right now in .51, it feels like it's been crippled.

[sorry for the mangle, I hit edit instead of reply -- Matt]

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2006, 04:24:42 pm »

The problem with this is that I might not always want the same tags displayed when I'm just browsing, but then when I want to do some tagging, I need to navigate that menu multiple times to add the various fields I want to edit.

One important point is that the menu should stay open while you tick and untick fields.  So it should be quite fast to make changes.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2006, 04:31:45 pm »

Matt,

The iPod problem was with an already nearly full iPod trying to add new stuff.  After ejecting the db was trashed and I got the constant reboot error like gamer.  After eformatting the iPod using the updater and copying tracks over all was fine so am guessing it was simply due to the db changes mentioned.  If anyone is going to test iPod they need to know they will need to reinitialize the ipod first.

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2006, 04:36:44 pm »

This has been a long standing request since the days of MJ8 :-\:

Tag display in AW depending on media types:

• Display audio tags with audio files
  • Display image tags with image files
  • Display video tags with video files

There are a few exceptions such as artist, album & name, but most tags are very media type specific and it is useless to display them when dealing with another media type.

One possible solution would be in the field definition mask to add a field to specify with which media type a field/tag should be displayed.

As tags are very closely connected to view schemes, another possible solution would be to specify which tags should be displayed with every view scheme (of course inheriting for sub schemes)

To extend it even further, in an view scheme for events, I basically need only the name, event, people, places tag, but in a view scheme artwork I need tags such as gallery, country, style, period etc., tags that are completely useless in the first view scheme. The same with the different tags for standard music and classical music!

Defining tag display in AW in the view scheme definition panel would make an excellent way to really have the tags you really need in AW and leave any obtrusive tags out.  Another good example would be TV series/episodes, audibles etc. They all have very specific tags!

The current implementation is not really an improvement, just kind of a rearrangement,  as several other users pointed out.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2006, 05:15:05 pm »

1. NEW: Theater View skins can support different background images at different locations. (see Noire for an example)

I'm not seeing this, could you provide more info?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2006, 05:19:46 pm »

One important point is that the menu should stay open while you tick and untick fields.  So it should be quite fast to make changes.

That's great! But it still doesn't give us back any of the functionality we had with 11, or add any of the additional functionality I outlined above.

I blame you, personally. You showed us a hint of the possibilities with earlier builds of 12, and then you took them away. :P

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2006, 05:40:25 pm »

Uhh... just tried this and it doesn't work. I open the menu, click a field and the menu disappears. This is in .51

Is this in upcoming builds then?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2006, 05:43:34 pm »

New caption field
select a file or two, click to edit the 'caption' field, click 'add new tag', mc crashes. It crashes regardless of the files current iptc tag status.

switch to details view in the file list and add a [caption] column. inline editing here adds new captions without crashing.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2006, 06:30:47 pm »

That's great! But it still doesn't give us back any of the functionality we had with 11, or add any of the additional functionality I outlined above.

I blame you, personally. You showed us a hint of the possibilities with earlier builds of 12, and then you took them away. :P
Otto made him do it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up