INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: jgreen's DVD Playback Woes  (Read 2520 times)

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
jgreen's DVD Playback Woes
« on: August 08, 2006, 09:49:40 pm »

Oklay, I'm getting more info now.  When I insert a DVD and try to play it in either WMP or MC12, I get an error message.  WMP says it cannot configure copry protection, MC12 says it failed on key exchange.

Er, guys, I bought these DVDs.  They played fine until a couple of weeks ago.  What gives?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: jgreen's DVD Playback Woes
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 12:08:53 pm »

jgreen

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 01:02:58 pm »

Thanks, JimH, but no joy, although Glynor's info re/ffdshow was very helpful.  I thinik the problem goes back to a manual "housecleaning" I did on my sys drive a couple weeks back.  Since this HP lappy came with pantloads of trialware, I went through and deleted out a lot of stuff I didn't like the sound of, and in the process I guess I deleted some dependencies also.

Currently, both WMP and MC will not play a valid DVD, and both complain about failure to do something with copy protection.

HP has a "quickplay" (that I almost deleted) which will play the DVD just fine.

My current theory:  I tried to download Performer right about that time and couldn't get it properly installed, probably due to remnants of Norton AV.  I thnk performer and Bill Gates got together on DRM and then their phone call was disconnected, and now nobody can get the DRM thing going, so everything to do with DVD is suspect for MC and WMP.

It doesn't help that I've gone through and deleted or renamed things that sounded like something the RIAA/MPAA might like.  I would do a windows rollback but there's too much other good stuff that would go with it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 01:11:37 pm »

Is it an ordinary DVD?  Something you should be watching?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 01:13:22 pm »

HP has a "quickplay" (that I almost deleted) which will play the DVD just fine.

So do you have any other DVD decryption capable software installed? PowerDVD, WinDVD, etc? HP's "quickplay" may not be compatible with other programs.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jgreen

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 01:16:34 pm »

JimH--
Correct.  Totally good-to-go, store-bought thing.  Jackie Chan's "Rumble In The Bronx", currently.

Alex B--
Are you saying that HP Quickply may be the problem?  Currently it's the only working playback I've got. 

No PowerDVD, NoWinDVD.  I downloaded FFDShow AFTER this started, in an attempt to fix.

jgreen

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 01:29:14 pm »

Just tried a different DVD in MC, it finally read the title correctly (Rumble showed as unnamed), but now we're back to the black square and no error message at all, no nothing.

Meanwhile WMP couldn't even read the title, and showed the copyright protection dialogue, same as usual.

HP quickplay, friend of DVD watchers, played it just fine, again.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 01:52:45 pm »

Alex B--
Are you saying that HP Quickply may be the problem?  Currently it's the only working playback I've got. 

No PowerDVD, NoWinDVD.  I downloaded FFDShow AFTER this started, in an attempt to fix.

MC and WMP need an installed external DVD decryption codec for commercial encrypted DVDs. FDDShow does not contain that part. I guess that your system uses whatever codec the HP Quickplay contains.

My MC12 shows this DVD configuration (right-click the display on playback > select DVD Playback Settings...)

I suppose the InterVideo (WinDVD) video decoder is responsible of the decryption on my PC.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jgreen

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 02:11:33 pm »

okay.  Although nothing is truly certain in life, I'm fairly confident that I deleted my DVD decoder when I was "cleaning up".  This rings a bell because it would have seemed like yet another DVD player, and I have several already so who needs another? 

The WMP error message help file talks about missing decoders, so I think we're on the right track here. 

So.  If I'm missing any decoder, how do I get one?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 02:12:31 pm »

Did you ever buy a DVD drive that came with software?

This may also work:
http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm

jgreen

Re: jgreen's I.Q. Woes
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 11:20:30 am »

Yeah, it was definitely the lack of a DVD decoder, which some moron deleted from the computer.  I downloaded a copy of PowerDVD SE ($14.95) and I get playback again.  Interestingly:

--PowerDVD is not as stutter-free (on 200% uprez) as whatever decoder I deleted was.

--I can't get DVD playback to show in detached display on my second monitor.  Personal issue?

At any rate, thank you for help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 11:25:06 am »

I once deleted a, uh, crucial system file from a notebook PC.  It was while I was travelling and I went without a PC for a week.  Sweat, nausea, babbling, etc.  Talk about morons.
Pages: [1]   Go Up