INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing DVDs/ Burning CDs  (Read 2028 times)

Noel42

Playing DVDs/ Burning CDs
« on: August 07, 2006, 04:12:47 pm »

When I play DVDs in MC, they get to a certain point, than stutter as if in 1x forward. I am also unable to use MC to burn a CD, it gets to the 4th or 5th song and than says it is full. I am still useing the 30 day free trial, and do not want to buy until I know the software will work.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Playing DVDs/ Burning CDs
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 04:26:09 pm »

It's possible that other software (Virus checker, etc) is interfering.  It's also possible that the drive isn't 100%.

Please try a search here and the links to problems in the FAQ on this board.

JONCAT

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 04:35:43 pm »

After a year of stutter free DVD playback I am suddenly seeing the same thing with Purevideo. Lately been trying to isolate driver, hardware problem, but tonight I am testing with WMP. Will report back. It is similar behavior to when NOD32 AV kicks in w/ 100% cpu resources.

DC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 04:58:59 pm »

You may want to also check the contents of this recent thread:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35019.0

Bad stuttering is likely caused by hardware (does it happen with other applications too?), but it's possible that it's some bad DirectShow filters.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 06:22:33 pm »

After a year of stutter free DVD playback I am suddenly seeing the same thing with Purevideo.
What has changed?  Any new software?  Windows updates?

Noel42

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 06:58:08 pm »

It could be a bad drive, the movie I wanted to play was Serenity, it did fine the 1st time but either the drive has problems or something haywire with other programs. I need to back up my system and than reinstall MC. I would have no trouble purchasing it, but I want to know if it works first. I really need to make some CD's though. I will try and than update if I get that feaure going, thanks for the help.

JONCAT

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 07:09:29 pm »

I initially didn't even consider MC as I had updated my Nvidia display drivers, but actually remembered I installed them & the newest Purevideo decoder as an attempted remedy.

I'll bet the card is crapping out but I do want to try to play Apocalypse Now for about 2 hours w/ WMP and check for stutter.

The last movie I tested with was loaded on a virtual drive w/ Daemon tools so I ruled out drive failure....

DC

JONCAT

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 04:44:18 pm »

Can you use the Microsoft Windows XP Decoder Checkup Tool to tell us which decoder is assigned as the primary fopr your system and the version.

I am going to roll back to pre 91.xx Nvidia Forceware drivers. I 'm using a 6600, It seemed like a hardware issue the other night as the stutter got progressively worse and worse. I tried pausing and resuming to no avail BUT the last few times I have let a DVD play for a while, entered room to stuttering, activate my mouse (move it around), and the stuttering stops....totally bizzarre as I simply could get the stuttering to stop during an actuall movie viewing.

Stuttering occurring in both WMP & MC, but only after a while. I could try to use FFDSHOW to do decoding and see if using CPU instead of GPU would make a difference; I notice 75-80% CPU load with FFDSHOW as opposed to 25% CPU load with Nvidia Purevideo which loads up the GPU. This is a 6600 Gigabyte passively cooled card so I wonder if its getting way too hot; this may be a good test....or not.

DC

Noel42

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 02:16:44 pm »

I will try to get a new burner, see if thats the problem, but I really think it is the MC software that has problems. Will update after the weekend and see.
Pages: [1]   Go Up