INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ 8 and Windows XP (Multpile Users)  (Read 1305 times)

AnthonyC

MJ 8 and Windows XP (Multpile Users)
« on: September 13, 2002, 09:17:31 am »

I am using Windows XP with several user accounts on the same computer.  How can other users use MJ?  Do I have to install it for every user or is there some type of shared setup that will make it available to all accounts?

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
RE:MJ 8 and Windows XP (Multpile Users)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2002, 11:07:51 am »

This may work. First of all copy the MJ icon/shortcut. Right click on the Start button and click on Open All Users. Paste the shortcut in the Programs folder (or any of your choice). Log out and then in as someone else. See if that works.

Xenno

Bryan H

MJ 8 and Windows XP (Multpile Users)
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2002, 04:04:51 pm »

I cannot find a way to make this work. Its very frustrating.  I cannot even install MJ onto any other user than the original user name under which the program was install.  I even tried removing from my computer and starting over.  I also tried opening "the Open All Users" function in the start menu.  That at least got the link to appear on the other users Start menu programs, but when you click it says MJ was not installed to allow this user to use MJ.  

I can share any other program I want with this user.

Please help!!!

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2002, 08:50:46 pm »

Bryan H:

If you install an application for exactly one users, like MJ does, the directories and files created by this installation are getting the ownership of the current loged in user. If you want to reinstall MJ for different users, you have to give them the right to modify and delete the files. So go to the security-options of this (installation!) folder (it is somewhere below the properties box accessed by right mousebutton) and check, if you gave all users (or the once in question here) the full access rights. This should solve problem number one. Maybe even give, for testing purposes, everyone access to everything _in this folder_ (and _for_ this folder). You may even have to give full access to the "program files"-folder. After installation you may take this right away again (but not the other ones, because there is a database-file in the installation-folder, which changes).
You can check, if you did everything right, by typing "md testfolder" in the "program files"-folder in a command-line. If there is no error, you can remove the created folder by "rd testfolder" again. And you might edit a textfile in the MJ-application-folder (create one) and save it. If there is no error, you have the necessary rights. Then install with that user.

If this doesn't help, you have to check, sorry for that, that the files created by the installation in the system-directory are created using the above described rights. They have to be overwritable by all users also (by default, setup-program shouldn't try to overwrite systemfiles with the same version, but you never know, right?).

The reason for all of this is the security feature of WinXP. If a setup-program doesn't recognize a multiuser environment and only installs as a single-user application, what quite much applications do, they are all installed by the rights of the person installing (because in WinXP (and 2K) this is the default). That's the reason why nobody but the admin should install software. But he has to give access to all users on the system, too. If the setup of an application creates registry-keys, they're mostly in the user-tree (that's the reason for reinstalling the application with different user-logins; many application can't handle empty reg.-settings). So there should be no problem with that. And even if it is, you may edit the security-settings for registrykeys also (but I don't think this is necessary here).

HTH,
Mirko

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2002, 09:04:55 pm »

This is one area where MJ really fails, IMO. There is really no reason why MJ shouldn't just install itself for all users of the PC. It also doesn't seem as though it should be too difficult a fix, especially for these guys. I've seen them erradicate some really nasty bugs in record time. This should be a cakewalk for them.

Jaguu

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2002, 01:02:30 am »

The usual recommendation of J River is to reinstall MJ for every user again! There are many threads about this!

I am sorry to say, but as long as J River does not solve this problem, they are not really entitled to play in the "Champions League" of software. Every meek piece of freeware I know and installed on my pc is able to handle this situation. I really do not understand why they are so reluctant about this and also never gave any explanations for why not doing it!

Jaguu

Bigticket

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2002, 04:45:07 am »

Quit your crying and install it for each user... or complain to microsft

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2002, 05:18:24 am »

Why should we complain to Microsoft? They're handling multiple users properly. It's JRiver who's dropping the ball on this one.

Look at WinZip. It installs for all users, but allows for individual licenses.

Look at PartitionMagic. At install it asks if I want it installed for all users or just for me.

JRiver could combine these two and allow MJ to be installed for all users on the system, yet still allow each user to maintain their own registration license.

Jim Hughes

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2002, 11:01:34 am »

I agree that the setup program should allow multiple users to login.

As a test to see determine just what MJ was looking for, I logged in as the user that I installed Media Jukebox as and then used RegEdit (I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR MESSING UP YOUR SYSTEM!) to export the registry key at [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver] to a file.

I then logged in as another user, saw the same errors you reported.

As that user, I then imported the file into the registry. Now MJ works just fine.

I did not try to narrow it down to the exact settings MJ is looking for, but this brute force approach worked for me without reinstalling for each user.

The MJ database and the media were all visible and working for both users.

James River should probably populate the [HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\JRiver] registry area with the details about the installation options selected and read them from there when starting up as a user that has not previously run MJ to get reasonable default values.

Newly created users will get those registry settings automatically when they login the first time.

Jim@HughesTechnology.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up