INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: audio recorder  (Read 856 times)

dave

audio recorder
« on: September 12, 2002, 08:10:38 pm »

I am using the audio recorder to record songs from rhapsody.  is there a way to split the tracks only according to the times you enter?  even when I enter the times the program still tries to split the tracks where it detects silence.  I know the time of each track and I would like to split them accordingly since splitting by the silent gaps in between is not always reliable.

JohnT

RE:audio recorder
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2002, 04:32:58 am »

No, there isn't a way to do that. The problem with splitting the tracks at the exact durations you enter, is that the accuracy then depends on when you start the recording, it's so easy to get it out of sync.

- John T.

dave

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2002, 09:14:10 am »

With the "wait for sound" option, the starting point is synched pretty reliably with the music. if there is a short silence 10 seconds before the track ends it will automatically cut to the next track.  it would be nice if you gave the option to split tracks at the indicated time, or at least within 2-3 seconds to account for synch problems.  another problem is that after the music stops it will keep recording tracks.  last night i came home and found over 200 blank tracks after the end of the album.

JohnT

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2002, 11:02:26 am »

if there is a short silence 10 seconds before the track ends it will automatically cut to the next track

Yes, the way it works when you enter track durations is if it encounters a silent section of at least "min gap between tracks" within 10 seconds prior to the specified duration, it will do a track split. If it does not encounter any silent section during the specified duration, it waits until silence is encountered before doing a track split. I just dropped this from 10 seconds to 3 seconds so the next build (of version 9) will reflect this change. You could try increasing the "max gap between tracks" value somewhat: maybe 3000 instead of 2200 (3 seconds rather than 2.2 seconds).

The recorder used to stop automatically after 10 seconds of silence. For some reason which eludes me at the moment, we changed it to keep recording, although in track splitting mode it should simply wait for a sound signal forever. I'm not sure why it's creating multiple files, unless you are getting random noise bursts that it detects and records, then does a track split.

- John T.
JRiver, Inc.

dave

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2002, 11:17:39 am »

John, I appreciate your responsiveness.  i am a new user, but i am sure this is partially responsible for the loyalty your program seems to have.  maybe you could make the time in which the program looks for a gap a user preference?  i still think it would be a good option to allow the recorder to split tracks at exactly the time indicated.  especially when the music is continuous without silence between tracks, there is no way for the computer to identify track splits.  maybe there could be advanced settings which allow the user to indicate for which track splits the computer should identify the breaks and for which tracks it should use the exact times given (for those problem splits or when there is no silence).
Pages: [1]   Go Up