INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPOD Photo - Rockbox and MC  (Read 1381 times)

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
IPOD Photo - Rockbox and MC
« on: May 26, 2006, 08:29:53 am »

Good Morning All... I have been hearing a lot of things about Roclbox and it sounds pretty cool. The customized screens are really sweet!

First of all, for the users that have or have used Rockbox, does it work with MC?
Is it faster then the Apple firmware?
Is there any bad things about it?

If you have used it, let me know what you thought!

Thanks,
-

Toki the Monkey

Re: IPOD Photo - Rockbox and MC
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 09:56:37 am »

Rockbox is still not Stable.

and its decrease the battery life time. My Ipod 4gen works originaly with 12h of playback. With Rockbox only 4h 17m.

This depends on the development status. there are still no Enegry Management in Rockbox...

but in a few months i will use Rckboyx instead of the original Firmware cause much more fileformats are supportet.

sorry for my bad english but i think its understandable ;)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 02:38:26 pm »

I agree with Toki, it does seem to eat the battery much faster but I like the custom themes which allow considerably more info on the screen than the normal firmware, it plays way more music formats (but not the protected ones) and it works fine with MC for me as a generic mass storage device. I would say the speed of transfer is the same. One other downside is that the iPod models that have BOTH usb and firewire only work in usb mode, I normally use firewire, but I'm getting used to it...

LonWar

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 02:47:19 pm »

If anybody is intersted in my findings or how it went.......

I installed the program, The install was easy enough. Couldn't get Tagcache to work. I forced the tagcache update and that ran for about 40 min, but still couldn't nav my music. Ket on saying Tagcache not available. I uninstalled and reinstalled but the result was no different.

It's neat that you can customize the display, maybe 6G Ipod will be able to do that...

I uninstalled and returned back to Apple firmware. I may give it another shot in a few months.

-

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 01:21:04 am »

RB battery life has been significantly improved

Stability for me is excellent, although I use an iRiver H340 with a customised build from misticriver.net

Try here for non-iRiver related RB info, there may be something useful buried in there
http://misticriver.net/forumdisplay.php?f=125

Pages: [1]   Go Up