INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image Idea  (Read 4045 times)

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
Image Idea
« on: August 15, 2006, 12:27:07 pm »

You know, I'd like to be able to use MC for sharing my images as well as managing them. Being able to make an album, publish it to the 'Net, sharing it from my machine, or writing it to a CD/DVD are things I enjoy doing. Since MC already has the info on them, why not go the extra step and let me share/publish too?

Currently I use JAlbum for this, but I'd think MC could add the same functionality and then some.

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Image Idea
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 03:37:14 pm »

Been touting the similar notions for a while myself.

I reckon it's been discussed somewhere along the corridors of power in Minnesota too.

Was it a full-on meeting, with JimH banging fist on the boardroom table demanding DVD authoring and webalbum creativity by the end of the month?

Or was it a disgruntled JohnT over by the water dispenser, mumbling to Matt about how he could do that stuff no problem, if only he could get the rescources?
:D :D

I reckon it's coming. If it happens sooner rather than later, I'll be very [pleasantly] surprised.
In the meantime, gentle reminders that we've not forgotten can't do any harm, surely :)

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 12:02:49 am »

Another one here that wants it too. 

I use JAlbum as well, but would love to be able to manage and then sync my files to an online album quickly and easily.

At one stage I thought MC11 was being tested with syncing with Coppermine, but then all went quiet.

JimH/Matt: Since this is a more restricted forum, any comment on the possibility of this?  It's the next step in photo/image management that I think would be a really good "New Feature" for MC12. Certainly one I'd pay for.

Cheers
Richard

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 03:26:36 am »

This has been a long standing request of mine. I did not find any external application (even the best ones) that allows to import MC image tags, so that this information can be used elsewhere. Usually one would have to re-tag everything by hand again. MC is a great database for images, but there is very little we can do with the large number of images stored there.

I would like to have the following features:
1) ability to create cycling wallpapers from a playlist
2) ability to create screensavers with images and sound to be saved as *.scr or even .exe file
3) ability to create menu driven slideshows on cd/dvd to make nice presents to friends and a good way to advertise MC (kind of a read only version to be put on cd).
4) For me not important, but probably for many upload of images to some web-site.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 04:42:57 am »

I get a funny feeling that v12 is going to be the one that polishes up on the images side of things. They decided to allow exif tags now, some work on video done as well.

But video might be more demanding than images to squeeze into this one.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 06:29:14 am »

Currently I use JAlbum for this, but I'd think MC could add the same functionality and then some.
This looks nice :)

But for people that don't have the bandwidth to serve this up.

Is there a place to upload for a limited amount of time like ac/dc ?

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 09:27:46 am »

This looks nice :)

But for people that don't have the bandwidth to serve this up.

Is there a place to upload for a limited amount of time like ac/dc ?

Yeah, that limited bandwidth is a problem in developed countries. Here, I have a 10M pipe. Useless for many things as the Great Firewall is geting harder and harder to breach (thanks Google, Yahoo!, MSN, Cisco). But works fine for sharing things.

Anyway, their forums have many suggestions for free hosting of albums. And, you can find many inexpensive paid hosts too. The one I use is good and only US$3 per month.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 09:30:05 am »

I get a funny feeling that v12 is going to be the one that polishes up on the images side of things. They decided to allow exif tags now, some work on video done as well.

But video might be more demanding than images to squeeze into this one.

Well, let's hope not. I'll wager there are more people with digital cameras than with home theaters fed by compuer based material. Great photo ability would be more useful than showing a DIVX movie on the second monitor.

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 09:38:40 am »

Great photo ability would be more useful than showing a DIVX movie on the second monitor.

I agree completely!!!

Another great idea would be to do more advanced photo transitions, like Photostory 3 (free download from MS).  It makes photo transitions like you would see on a TV show (like a Ken Burns look)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 09:47:17 am »

Well, let's hope not. I'll wager there are more people with digital cameras than with home theaters fed by compuer based material. Great photo ability would be more useful than showing a DIVX movie on the second monitor.

Not to me.  Of course, I want it all.   ;)

I happen to use MC for video just about every day.  Not so for pictures, though that could change as MC12 develops into a more powerful photo management tool.

I too would like to see improved ability to create DVD slideshows and publish HTML "galleries" with thumbnails "contact sheets" (which when clicked on lead to the full image).

However, to me, the HTML gallery thing is not such a huge deal.  I just use Flickr and their great Flickr Uploadr application.  I can then just select the images I want to send to Flickr in MC, right click Send To --> External --> Flickr and all is good.  True, I have to manually enter in any metadata on the images, but the file names transfer, and entering a few keywords using Flickr Uploadr isn't too hard...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 12:19:34 pm »

True, I have to manually enter in any metadata on the images, but the file names transfer, and entering a few keywords using Flickr Uploadr isn't too hard...

Exactly, that's the real problem. You spend plenty of time tagging your images, but then this information is basicaly useless outside of MC :(

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 01:15:11 pm »

Not to me.  Of course, I want it all.   ;)

I happen to use MC for video just about every day.  Not so for pictures, though that could change as MC12 develops into a more powerful photo management tool.

I too would like to see improved ability to create DVD slideshows and publish HTML "galleries" with thumbnails "contact sheets" (which when clicked on lead to the full image).

However, to me, the HTML gallery thing is not such a huge deal.  I just use Flickr and their great Flickr Uploadr application.  I can then just select the images I want to send to Flickr in MC, right click Send To --> External --> Flickr and all is good.  True, I have to manually enter in any metadata on the images, but the file names transfer, and entering a few keywords using Flickr Uploadr isn't too hard...

Ohhh, 20 Mb a month upload and very plain layout with Flickr.

Plus, as pointed out, you lose the work you've done within MC tagging.
If use an external tool/site I'd just as soon stick with what I have now. It extracts all the data in the files and presents the albums quite nicely.

Which is what I'd like to see MC do.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 02:00:05 pm »

I actually like their layout and tools quite well.  It's clean, simple, and very useable (and offers a lot of options).

I paid for a "pro" membership (it's only $25 per year), and I've never had a problem with the upload limits.  Of course... I paid.  The free one doesn't offer anywhere near as much...

I haven't uploaded anything new to it this summer yet (I've been too busy), but you can check my flickr page out if you want...  (These are all personal, fun shots -- not my work stuff at all.)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 09:05:26 am »

Another great idea would be to do more advanced photo transitions, like Photostory 3 (free download from MS).  It makes photo transitions like you would see on a TV show (like a Ken Burns look)

Oh, I forgot that MC can already do this.  It is a super hidden feature called Auto Pan.  When images are playing, you can hit the "p" key to turn it on.

I would like this option to be turned on and off by the user, I recommend you set in ON by default as most peopel don't know it is there.  Even better would be a panel to customize it a bit. (agressiveness of Pans)

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 01:36:46 pm »

I reckon it's been discussed somewhere along the corridors of power in Minnesota too.

Was it a full-on meeting, with JimH banging fist on the boardroom table demanding DVD authoring and webalbum creativity by the end of the month?
:D :D

..course..he did...

its called positve re-enforcement.
Pages: [1]   Go Up