INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ignored folders?  (Read 2364 times)

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Ignored folders?
« on: August 15, 2006, 03:32:18 pm »

Scenario:   F:\music  is the base path of the music collection.
Subdirectories in [artist]\[album] format.
There is also a folder F:\music\temp

In MC 11, under File > Library > Import Media.....
when having the library scan for new files, there was an option to select multiple folders to check.   One of the possibilities here was to select folders to EXCLUDE.  In my case, F:\music\temp would be excluded, but all other subfolders under F:\music would be scanned for new files.

In MC12, under  File > Library Add Folder To Library.  I don't see the option anymore to exclude a subfolder.

I bet this change has to do with the new Otto features.  Has the ability to exclude a subfolder been moved or is it a thing of the past?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Ignored folders?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 03:35:06 pm »

If you use Otto, you can specify a list of folders, including exclude folders.

Add Folder To Library is a single directory, without the fancy stuff.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dcwebman

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 03:59:31 pm »

How do you add an exclude folder?  My only guess would be to add the watch folder with no file types and then the nested folder is excluded?
Jeff

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 04:02:24 pm »

How do you add an exclude folder?  My only guess would be to add the watch folder with no file types and then the nested folder is excluded?
You go to "Tools>options>library>add folder" and you'll find the 'exclude' option hiding under the browse button ;)

If you use Otto, you can specify a list of folders, including exclude folders.

Add Folder To Library is a single directory, without the fancy stuff.
I can't help the feeling that this area is already hitting the top of FAQ charts.

File>library>add folder
Tools>add folder
Tools>options>library>add folder

Would combining the two cause more problems than it might solve?
between the watch dialogue and the add dialogues:

The only functional difference I see on the surface is the 'watch' tick box, and the 'exclude' option hidden under the browse button.

or perhaps another menu level?

Tools > Add > File
Tools > Add > Folder
Tools > Add > Watched Folder
Tools > Add > Folder Exclusion

Whatever. IMVHO, this area will cause much confusion if it's left the way it is.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 04:55:22 pm »

We thought about ONLY having a watch folder system. (with the disabled + run now option for people that wanted full control)

However, since most media players also have a simple way to add a folder to the library, we thought it would be good to retain that functionality.

If you do advanced stuff, you probably want to shoot straight for the library options page.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 05:08:51 pm »

Damn, this version of MC is making me feel like a n00b all over again.

I didn't even realize there was a difference here. I think because of the Watch This Folder checkbox always being checked, I didn't notice that Add Folder To Library did anything other than add that folder to the Watch list.

Dragyn

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 10:00:59 pm »

>>and you'll find the 'exclude' option hiding under the browse button

wow.. that's the first thing I looked for and I couldn't find it. thanks.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 12:20:50 am »

We thought about ONLY having a watch folder system. (with the disabled + run now option for people that wanted full control)

Hmmm.  And I think that is the problem right there.   ::)

I guess I just don't see why having it that way is better than having both options (meaning quick access to "Check Folders Now" to force the manual import run).  Especially considering that the code was already in MC11.1 (and the import routine is obviously still there), so it's not like you needed a bunch of new code.  It seems very two steps forward, one step back.

Why not just keep the Import Media dialog from MC11.1, with all of it's functionality, but add a "Watch Folders" checkbox?  I'd prefer the checkbox be added to each folder in the list individually, but if you want to only allow us to toggle the whole list watched vs. non, that's fine.  It's probably too much code to bother implementing for the handful of people who would like it that way (I just happen to be one of those few).

Either way, as I said above.... I think the problem is, honestly, that you (the collective you there, not anyone in particular) badly wanted to make it watched only.  Not because it's really better that way, but because the background importing code you wrote was just so darn cool that it Just Really Should be used that way (and it really is pretty cool).  The implication is that if Otto doesn't happen to work for you (because of whatever), then you're just not setting up your library right.  You just wanted to remove all the manual options, but half decided not to, and you can tell.

I'm a fan of choice.  The dialog needed a serious re-working, I agree (those scrolling lists stunk).  If you want it to go in Options, with the tree-like control, fine, it's pretty workable as is.  However, forcing users to dig into the Options panel to manually import, when we didn't have to before, seems heavy handed.  It's a transparent "force us to use Otto" move (ala Microsoft only releasing DirectX 10 for Vista).  Not a big fan of being forced.  If it doesn't happen to work for me, then it just...   :P
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

dcwebman

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 10:27:17 am »

You go to "Tools>options>library>add folder" and you'll find the 'exclude' option hiding under the browse button
Is there any reason why "exclude folder" can't simply be a checkbox on the dialog box like the "watch this folder" checkbox on the Add Folder to Library dialog? I would have eventually found the exclude option someday but when I know the path and can type it in, I don't need to use the Browse  button.
Jeff

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 11:49:19 am »

For me, impoting files and folders, tagging them, assigning cover art are all "main features" of the software that should be right at the heart of it and easily accessible.

My vote is to put these things in the action window, or in a drop down (Navigation button style) button in the toolbar. When you click on "Auto import" it brings up what you essentially see in the "Library" part of the options window now. But in it's very own little window.

The same with tagging. Move the "Add field" functionality down to the tagging action window. Get all of the advanced "features" out of options (since they arent really options) and put them in the action window, where you can do something with them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up