INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bugs related to EXIF import / RAW images  (Read 1341 times)

RobOK

• Citizen of the Universe
  • long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
Bugs related to EXIF import / RAW images
« on: August 16, 2006, 01:13:54 pm »

[Please let me know if you want new bug threads or in the "version" threads.  This does not seem related to a specific version, so started new thread]

1.You are getting EXIF data from JPG but not RAW.  When I click on "Format" on a RAW fiel I can see Maker:Nikon and Model: D70S, so you are getting something, but not all of it.  When I Update Library from Files, it does not take these fields into the corresponding Camera field.  I am using Nikon, so my RAW files are really NEF file types.  Other image viewers can see EXIF from JPG and RAW files, I confirmed this.  I think you need to support EXIF across all image types you support (in other words give the same support to all image types), so I consider this a bug that EXIF is not being recognized in RAW files.

2. I think Marko has pointed out a connection between whether an image file has an "MJMD" tag and how the EXIF information updating works.   He reported that if a file did not have MJMD tagging, the image tag updating could overwrite tags.  With that said, here is my scenario:

* previously moved NEF files into a new album.  (i.e. got rid of default Album tag of 2006-01-20 and made a different album tag)
* keep in mind NEF does not have MJMD tags, the format does not support it.
* when I later did an Update Library From Files (to try and get the Camera Make and Model), it over wrote my Album with the default album name 2006-01-20).

I don't know if it is a function of being a RAW/NEF file or of not having an MJMD tag, but it shoudl never be overwriting my Album tag.

3. Request:  Would like to get other EXIF data into the database for expressions and filtering.  This would be a Nice To Have,  but it would really make the Image processing powerful.  Example fields:  JPEG Quality (might be Nikon specific), Exposure program, Exposure Bias, Metering.   I would use this mostly for learning more about my camera -- make a view scheme with detailed captions to compare and contrast different exposure settings.  I think this would have to be an Advanced Option under Library called "Advanced EXIF import" where you map the fields.  A less good approach would be to take all EXIF data and dump it into one database field (called EXIF) and then I would try to things with expressions, but that would not be great.

RobOK

• Citizen of the Universe
  • long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
Re: Bugs related to EXIF import / RAW images
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 09:48:58 am »

*** Bump ***
Pages: [1]   Go Up