INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "copy a file, rename it, then send to..." possible or not?  (Read 1935 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
"copy a file, rename it, then send to..." possible or not?
« on: August 17, 2006, 09:16:19 pm »

I've been beavering away in my Image workshop. The view schemes for stacks and version sets are looking pretty neat, if I do say so myself :)

"Needs editing" is proving to be a bit of a higher hurdle however...

If I come across a photo that needs, fx, a crop, and it's not convenient (or I can't be bothered) to fix it there and then, I tag it accordingly.
In the 'editing' viewscheme, that forms the first pane.

So, the theory goes that if I select 'crop' I'll see all those images that need cropping.
I right click on one and send it to photoshop.
I save it from there as a new file, and otto picks it up and imports it.

Here's where the theory falls apart...
Ideally, I'd like this new image to pop up beside its' original, but for that to happen, photoshop needs to preserve the MJMD tag, and of course, it doesn't. It does keep the EXIF tags though, meaning there are constants involved. I focussed on the date, not really thinking about the others untill just now, I may have another look in the morning.
Anyway, I figured the easiest way might be to 'save as...' in the current directory using "[filename (name)]+constant" and then send that file to photoshop instead.
I figured I might need a batch file for that, and so need some help, either on that, or other suggestions?

jgreen

Re: "copy a file, rename it, then send to..." possible or not?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 09:28:42 pm »

Purely on the topic of batch renamers, have a look at "File Renamer (Basic)" available as freeware on download.com.  I've battle-tested it with sequentially-numbered files and it works like a champ!  You can copy, rename and send, all with this program, if that's what you end up doing.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 09:31:14 pm »

cheers jgreen, I'll do that.

I'm finished for the day now.
It just occurred to me that this may not work either. I'm assuming it's the save as... that's losing the MJMD tag... save is likely to do the same isn't it? (I can't test right now)

I'll have another think tomrrow.

jgreen

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 11:33:10 pm »

Not that I know anything about MC you don't already, but if I were doing this and had a problem with tags being stripped, I would think about doing a temp rename of the files to reflect the tags (example:  "me-at-the-beach--21-07-06--wife" for <subject>--<date>--photographer).

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 10:04:47 am »

for once in a blue moon scenarios, I might do that too, but I'm trying to set this up as seamlessly as possible.

The problem I need to solve is how to have an image selected, send it to an external editor, save it as a new file which otto will import, and MC will display beside the original. Once I've got that, tag syncing won't be a problem.

I can't get otto's attention right now, he's too busy doing lord knows what! I'll pick this up again when he's finished.

jgreen

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 12:19:39 pm »

Okay, howabout Sparta's "Data Exporter"?  (Or whatever he calls it.)  The idea is that you would warehouse the tag info in a txt file, and then CAREFULLY reaply it on import.  YRMV.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 05:25:05 am »

Or whatever he calls it

i'm not sure what i call it
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 08:59:30 am »

threads removed from 3rd party forums for the "data thing"?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 07:29:16 am »

dlone has come through for me... (us :) )

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35576.msg242428#msg242428

So, the file is first copied, then opened in photoshop, edited and then saved. When it gets saved, all the MJMD info is discarded, but that does not matter at all because Otto has already imported the tag info before the save action happened.

How cool is that :D

Pages: [1]   Go Up