INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shelly: MC 12 Problems  (Read 1805 times)

Shelly

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I love listening to music with Media Center!
Shelly: MC 12 Problems
« on: August 17, 2006, 09:35:41 pm »

First experiences:

1. 12.0.55 installed fine after IE7 B3 was reinstalled, as mentioned in a seperate thread.  Upgraded to 12.0.56 and although there were no installation errors, it wouldn't show itsellf when open, even though it was listed in open processes.   True Launch Bar plug-in Media Control reported that MC was not open.   Tried the following steps to resolve:

Uninstalled, left registry entries, reinstalled: same results

Uninstalled 11.1 and 12, reinstalled 12: same results

Uninstalled 12 including registry entries, reinstalled: successful installation and MC became visible when opened.

2. Library --> restore --> Detail view: fails to paint appropriately.

3. CPU usage varies from 1% to 98% w/o any obvious reason.  I haven't performed any tasks within MC yet, with the exception of enabling and disabling "watch folder" and scrolling through library.  When it was building thumbnail icons the usage was high, but I haven't been able to reproduce it. 

Closing MC does not release the Content Index Service, which has to be manually killed.

For reference this is my CPU usage with MC closed.

Media Center Registered 12.0.56 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Unknown 2748 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2096 MB, Free - 1362 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5450.4 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive I:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive O:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive Q:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive R:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive I: PLEXTOR  DVDR   PX-712A     Addr: 5:1:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive R: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PREMIUM     Addr: 5:0:0  Speed:52  MaxSpeed:52  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Shelly: MC 12 Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 11:31:26 am »

It looks like you have extra Windows skinning enabled.  Please disable it and retest.

Also, Media Center does nothing with the Content Index Service.  If it isn't behaving how you expect, it's a Windows issue.  (services often don't shut down, so this may be normal)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Shelly

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 03:33:02 pm »

It looks like you have extra Windows skinning enabled.  Please disable it and retest.

I unloaded WindowsBlinds - no change
Uninstalled WindowsBlinds: Fixed
Reinstalled WindowsBlinds: continues to paint appropriately. 

Also, Media Center does nothing with the Content Index Service.  If it isn't behaving how you expect, it's a Windows issue.  (services often don't shut down, so this may be normal)

Disabled Indexing and Windows Search Service and Cisvc no longer runs when MC opens. 

Thanks for the suggestions, Matt.  I can move on to other things now!

modelmaker

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 04:03:38 pm »

I have also had problems with Window Blinds.

WindowBlinds has broken MC's ability to change fonts as far back as MC11.0 and I posted about this back then , nobody ever figured it out then. By chance I happened to uninstall WB and voila, I could change fonts in MC again.

Recently, I tried WB again, (with MC 10, 11.1 & 12 installed), MC10 was unaffected, but the fonts in MC 11.1 & 12 were broken again. I had to uninstall WB twice to fix both MCs.

Right now the fonts are o.k. and I'm never going to re-install WB.

I had been meaning to pass this on here and thanks to Shelly I was reminded.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Shelly

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 07:24:23 pm »

MC fonts don't seem to be affected by WB on my system, but I would dump it fast if that were the case.  One handy feature of WB5 is that you can configure it to exclude individual applications. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 01:04:59 pm »

My guess is that WindowBlinds and MC use a similar system to skin a window.  They'll pillow fight if they're both trying to skin a standard file open dialog for example.

If you use WindowBlinds, it would be best to tell it to ignore Media Center if possible.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up