INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Track 13's?!  (Read 1889 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Track 13's?!
« on: August 19, 2006, 03:10:08 pm »

What is up with this leaving off track #13 on so many CD's?  I am getting sick of having to deal with this and would like to know what other people do.  For example, John Mayer Room For Squares has a track 13 but it is blank and shows no duration.  I would like to just leave it off but then later, I return and wonder why I seem to be missing a track and then I get worried.

I have run into other CD's that do this but this one was convenient for discussing at the moment.

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Track 13's?!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 05:03:15 pm »

What is up with this leaving off track #13 on so many CD's?  I am getting sick of having to deal with this and would like to know what other people do.  For example, John Mayer Room For Squares has a track 13 but it is blank and shows no duration.  I would like to just leave it off but then later, I return and wonder why I seem to be missing a track and then I get worried.

I have run into other CD's that do this but this one was convenient for discussing at the moment.
In the Netherlands and maybe also in other countries 13 is a misfortune number. That's why for instance apartment buildings don't have a thirteenth floor (that is to say there is a thirteenth floor but it is numbered 14) and in airplanes and theaters there are no seats numbered 13. Maybe this is also the reason why track #13 is missing on CD's.

A day without laughing is a day without living

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 05:42:42 pm »

Maybe this is also the reason why track #13 is missing on CD's

Nice Try: Berto

Unless Kenny G Breathless Is An Exception MC Properly Has Numbered All The Songs To 14

Normaly When There Is Other Data Missing Like "and shows no duration" Then The problem is 1. A Bad Media File, Or 2. MC Made a Mistake when it imported the file. Normaly if you use "update Library from tags" this will be fixed, unless the file (id3v2 tags) is corrupt.

in that case removing the id3v2 tags and then saving the tag to the file "Update tags from library" can\may correct the file.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

benn600

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 10:43:10 pm »

I understand it's a misfortune number but I would think that they'd give in and let the song exist instead of confusing everyone.  Life is confusing enough as it is.

I could just not rip the "broken" track but then it's strange seeing a missing track # and I'll later forget and worry that I missed a song.

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 05:25:13 am »

I don't quite get what you're complaining about to be honest - I presume you're simply saying that (on one CD at least) someone chose not to fill out the details in YADB for track 13. So what?

For what it's worth, I have 590 track 13s in my MC database. For the CDs that I didn't have to enter manually anyway, all the tracks were in YADB, so it's not like it can exactly be a widespread phenomenon.

Nor is is exactly difficult to fix anyway...

And there are far worse things people do when they're entering stuff into YADB!

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 12:21:42 pm »

Take a look at the track listing from Amazon Room For Squares.

Track 13 is listed as "Unknown".

benn600, what happens why you rip the track?  If there's nothing there, I'd be inclined to make St. Patricks Day = Track 13 and keep the sequence in tact.  This is probably a quirk with this CD.  I haven't heard of skipping Track 13 before.

I understand where you're coming from.  I wouldn't be crazy about deviating from the "official" track listing, but if I rip a full album, I'd want all tracks to be listed in sequence.  This was not the case that someone put bad info into YADB. 

benn600

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 01:28:30 pm »

No problem with YADB.  I just wanted some discussion on the matter.  The first option would be to just skip 13 and make 14 be #13.  That is the simplest solution but seems a little cheated--but ripping the track gives me a FLAC file with a duration of ... (blank).

No big deal--just wanted some ideas.  Thanks!

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 10:19:21 pm »

Um... It's John Mayer. Personally, I think ALL of the tracks on that CD should be blank. ;)

benn600

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 10:40:48 pm »

Lol.  No big deal there.  I find myself buying CDs just to build my library even if I hardly like the songs--mainly because I get CDs on eBay and average $2.76 or so, getting me just about anything I can desire.  At that price, I might as well go crazy!  I like having friends and family be able to name a song and--woah, I've got it!  That's happened many many times and it is quite nice.  It's happened to me before.  I heard a song I liked for the first time and what a surprise, I already have it--two versions, too (original & new artist remake)!
Pages: [1]   Go Up