INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Q re Secure Ripping  (Read 2327 times)

edbro

• Citizen of the Universe
Q re Secure Ripping
« on: August 20, 2006, 10:19:31 am »

After ripping in secure mode I'm presented with a status report. If it says that the quality is xx% and it took x passes to get the data, does that mean it finally got good data or that the end product is only XX% good?

edbro

Re: Q re Secure Ripping
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 09:40:03 am »

Bump, Anybody?

Some of my rips came out showing only 35% quality but they sound okay. So, what have I lost? Do the mulitple read attempts get all the data in the end?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 11:22:56 am »

If you see "Completed Ok" at the top, it means it got data that matches. (although it may have taken a few rereads)

If you see "Completed with unreliable data" it means MC could never get matching data.  It'll give you a report about the region (and let you listen to it) in this case.

The percentage is a representation about how many rereads were needed.  At 100%, no rereads were necessary because the first two reads always matched perfectly.  As the percentage falls, it means some rereading was necessary.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 11:33:21 am »

I only go with 100%.  Otherwise, I get the disc buffed or replace it.  My entire library of more than 8K songs was ripped at 100% without question.

I am guessing here but I think that the drive may read a few times to get good data but still give you 100%.  Whenever I get anything less than 100%, I often find pops or something bad in the song so I never settle for less than 100%.  I find that I can often get 100% by combining various methods for repairing the disc such as cleaning the disc strongly and even using my fingers which seem to work well on removing substances which may have gotten on the disc.  Otherwise, different drives have very different capabilities.  If there are label side damaged areas, the disc will most likely not be recoverable.  I have a few discs like that and I had no choice but to replace them.

edbro

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 12:42:51 pm »

Thanks Matt and bene600,

I only go with 100%.  Otherwise, I get the disc buffed or replace it.

Ah, if only I could print money!   ;) I've got a bunch of old discs and I'd hate to have to buy a bunch more to replace them. I've been ripping to Ape as a backup just for this very reason.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 02:31:40 pm »

"Completed OK" is enough. 100% is not needed for ripping the audio data correctly.

You may want to replace the CD for other reasons, but once MC has ripped it succesfully the files on a HD should be fine.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 04:55:50 pm »

"Completed OK" is enough. 100% is not needed for ripping the audio data correctly.

You may want to replace the CD for other reasons, but once MC has ripped it succesfully the files on a HD should be fine.

I just want to reiterate that this is correct.  If MC says "Completed OK", you can sleep sound at night.  It'll tell you if it couldn't get reliable data.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

modelmaker

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 06:08:33 pm »

I know it's sounds confusing. When MC says "Complete - OK", it means what it says. It got all the data.

The percentage figure has nothing to do with the quality of the rip, only how many times it took to re-read the CD to get a complete - OK rip.

If you're getting pops and other noise, it's either in the recorded CD or elsewhere in the system.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 02:25:28 am »

Perhaps that part should be re-worded.

95% quality, to me, means that it is less than 100% good.

Better to say multiple (or the actual number) reads were needed to get an exact copy.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 11:20:36 am »

The vast majority of my discs are nearly perfect.  I only have trouble with < 1% of my discs and have, therefore, had to replace about 6 discs--at $3 a disc on eBay, $18, I'm pretty happy with my decision.  I am glad MC gives a percentage and like I said, I still only go with 100%.  My 8.3K song library is made up of all 100% reads so I'm not gonna give up on that rule now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up