INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image Playback  (Read 2688 times)

RobOK

• Citizen of the Universe
  • long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
Image Playback
« on: August 20, 2006, 11:18:10 am »

Captions:  Already reported elsewhere, but confirmed here:  Captions are changing noticably before image changes.

Auto-Pan: this should be a feature that can be set on the IMage Playback dialog.  The time per image and auto-pan time should work together.  In other words, right now I set image time to 1 sec and I start auto panning, the images take 10 seconds or more, but there is no way for me to control it.  By putting autopan on the same dialog box, if you check auto pan ON, MC could make the minimum display time 4 seconds or something.

Request:  Image duration have a tenths capability, so I could set 2.5 or 3.5, instead of just 2, 3, or 4.

Request 2 - have the "frame" that appears around full screen image disappear much quicker and/or make that speed adjustable.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Image Playback
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 01:06:40 pm »

We can't reproduce the caption showing ahead of the image.

The caption starts at the beginning of a transition, which seems reasonable. (or are you requesting that it be shown at the end of the transition?)

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RobOK

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 02:45:51 pm »

I turned off all transitions.  Have a play list with a variety of images, using a caption shows date.   With no panning and no transitions going, the caption changes about half a second or less (so the new caption is showing with the old photo) and THEN the photo changes.

These are LARGE jpegs --  6MP.  Maybe the delay is the time for MC to load the image?

It it pretty plain to see for my setup.  Let me know if anything else I can tell you.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 03:34:13 pm »

(or are you requesting that it be shown at the end of the transition?)

Thanks.

If that wouldn't be too much trouble, and wouldn't impact badly somewhere else, then, yes, please.
I'd like to see if that would help things.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 04:13:15 am »

These are LARGE jpegs --  6MP.  Maybe the delay is the time for MC to load the image?
This does seem to be the key. My canon is taking pictures @ 3072 x 2304 (7.1 MP)

With 3 MP photos from my old Kodak, the problem is still there, but only because I'm watching for it.
I would love to see how this would fare in 'transition > caption' settings.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 10:18:40 am »

Next build.  You can't tell with most of the images I tested but the 8625x5420 Sinar image I downloaded really shows it.  (I NEED one of those.  Or a lexus.)

RobOK

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 01:09:09 pm »

Auto-Pan: this should be a feature that can be set on the IMage Playback dialog.  The time per image and auto-pan time should work together.  In other words, right now I set image time to 1 sec and I start auto panning, the images take 10 seconds or more, but there is no way for me to control it.  By putting autopan on the same dialog box, if you check auto pan ON, MC could make the minimum display time 4 seconds or something.

Request:  Image duration have a tenths capability, so I could set 2.5 or 3.5, instead of just 2, 3, or 4.

Request 2 - have the "frame" that appears around full screen image disappear much quicker and/or make that speed adjustable.

Anything done with these requests?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 01:22:34 pm »

More previous requests:

I think it was probably a good move to merge windowed and full screen into "display mode" (and I know a lot of thought/discussion went into this), but there is one thing I find rather irritating...

The fact that the borders pop up whenever I use the mouse means that I can't zoom in/focus/drag the image to regions at the top or the bottom of the screen.

Example: I have some A4 sheet music files stored as image (jpeg files)
-> When opened in display mode, as the image is larger than the display area, the file is shrunk to fit the display area. This is fine.
-> I decide I want to zoom in on a particular line of music.
-> To do this I have to use the mouse, which brings up the play controls/borders. If I'm trying to focus on part of the top of the image (eg the first line of music), the borders effectively obscure this area.

I then have to wait a few seconds (I know I'm impatient :)) for the borders to disappear. Any further adjustments (to drag the image for eg) will bring up the borders again. This can become rather frustrating.

I know there was similar behaviour in MC11 but the borders were much smaller and it just didn't seem to bother me as much...

Is this area set in stone, or would it be possible to (a) only bring up the borders if mouse placed in top left corner of screen or (b) only bring it up on mouse click or (c) be able to set options to behave like either of the above?

I may not have mentioned I have a tiny 15 inch monitor. Every inch is precious.

Am I alone in my anguish?
:-\

Something like your suggestion (a) would be a fine option.

The top bar could be activated only from the bar area itself. Then the mouse could be used on the rest of the display area without making the top bar appear. In this mode the top bar should not be initially visible.

The appearing side and bottom borders are completely unnecessary and distracting in the full screen display view.

and

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=34771.0
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 03:13:16 pm »

We can't reproduce the caption showing ahead of the image.

The caption starts at the beginning of a transition, which seems reasonable. (or are you requesting that it be shown at the end of the transition?)

No, this is not reasonable, some transitions take some time (fade and blinds) and you get the caption before the new image appears. This looks really weird. I think you would get a better impression by starting after the transition. Also with some smooth transitions the sudden display of the caption line makes an unbalanced impression.

Is it possible to have some newline character to insert into the caption line to get multiline captions, as some images display a lot of information that gets cut off at the end. For my artwork collection I want to display the painting period, the artist, the title, the year, the gallery, the size, the style and the country. This is simply too much for a single line.

It would also be nice to be able to select font, font size, foreground/background font color (including background transparency) and the location of the caption line (upper left/right, lower left/right, centered, top, bottom) and a selection of image frames. Very often the white/grey caption line is too much of a contrast for some slideshows. Imaging a slideshow with some very romantic scenery and you get this bold white/grey caption line. In this case a more refined font with transparent background would be more appropriate.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 08:02:23 am »

Reviewing a few slideshows carefully I came to the conclusion that it would be best to display the caption line after displaying transition and after displaying the image. So first we would have the image and then the caption display, maybe with a very short delay and probably looking better also displaying the caption line smoothly.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 10:30:33 am »

Once the image is loaded (right before the transition) the caption is hidden.  After the transition is complete the new caption is loaded.  Next build.
Pages: [1]   Go Up