INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why are Image/Audio/Video grouped, but not Docs  (Read 1643 times)

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • TiVo-aholic
Why are Image/Audio/Video grouped, but not Docs
« on: August 21, 2006, 07:43:14 am »

Why are Image/Audio/Video grouped, but not Documents?

Any way to ungroup them or include documents into the new layout?

Just seems unfair to documents!

Drosoph

jgreen

Re: Why are Image/Audio/Video grouped, but not Docs
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 10:45:41 am »

So far we are the only two people who view this as a problem.  "Documents" have been downgraded to second-class status due to beta-tester comments regarding visual niceties (really).  Many felt that four headers across the top of the tree was just too crowded, so documents was removed until "needed", and then will only appear on the second row. 

If you want to see your documents (and the second-class header), enable .doc associations and import a  .doc fine.  "Documents" will now magically appear, like a workman who's been off sleeping somewhere.

IMO, this is just surrendering the field to Copernic, but no one else sees this as a big deal.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 10:50:18 am »

Why are Image/Audio/Video grouped, but not Documents?

No Clue, Other Than they Ran Out Of Room

I did not see the point in grouping them at the top in the first place.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 12:03:46 pm »

Me neither. It would gain us a little bit of more vertical room that the AW could use, but then the new Audio, Images, and Video items are larger, so they take back whatever space they would have freed.

They seem to imply that items below them will change based on which one you've selected, but it doesn't do that either. So I don't really see the point.

EpF

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 04:10:11 pm »

The main difference with grouping them, as I see it, is that expanding one replaces any other that was previously expanded. I never used the auto-expand feature in previous versions, so I don't know if this was possible before; however, now it's impossible to have them all expanded at once.

Personally, I think I'll find this a good feature, as I don't get any use out of having them all expanded, and usually find myself manually closing tree items I'm not using. However, I don't see the logic in not having documents, (or anything else which doesn't support drag 'n' drop between groups), grouped.

As KingSparta said, it's most likely a space thing. Perhaps smaller, more condensed icons with integrated text could be designed with less space around them, which would allow Documents to be included in the grouping system. Maybe even Services & Plugins too...?

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 11:16:27 am »

I disagree. The tree looks so much tidier, and less daunting now. The big thing to shout about for MC12, for me, is it's usability enhancements. It's going to be easier for first time users in so many ways, without taking away any of the control the rest of us are used to. I think that is great.
And, it does make space for the display/image action windows, which are great.

They seem to imply that items below them will change based on which one you've selected, but it doesn't do that either. So I don't really see the point.

I agree with you there. That's what I thought at first too. I'm not sure how much the tree could actually be reduced if tree items really were filtered by media type though.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 11:53:24 am »

I disagree. The tree looks so much tidier, and less daunting now. The big thing to shout about for MC12, for me, is it's usability enhancements. It's going to be easier for first time users in so many ways, without taking away any of the control the rest of us are used to. I think that is great.

I disagree. The tree is a mess now. You shouldn't have one tree with items going in two different directions, with expansion arrows on opposing sides of the tree items. Add into that the constantly migrating Playing Now, and it's just big ol' mess.

And, it does make space for the display/image action windows, which are great.

Not by much. The root nodes or whatever they're called are each as big as two of the regular tree items, so you're only gaining a little bit of vertical space. Every little bit helps, I realize, but it's still hardly what I'd call a selling point.
Pages: [1]   Go Up