INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long term feature request: backup  (Read 1007 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Long term feature request: backup
« on: August 21, 2006, 11:41:54 am »

It would be great to have a built in backup option in Media Center.  I would like it to have very advanced monitoring, too, that would allow users to make quick and easy backups to CD/DVD and archive the state.

Basically, the first backup would copy all files on how ever many DVDs it took (100?!--blu ray!) and then when you want to update the backup, you'd stick in a blank dvd and it would burn the new & changed files.  It should keep the folder structure in tact and then to restore, just copy everything to your media drive.  Then, upon inserting disc 2, just click replace all and all the changed files would get updated--and so on.  The only problem would be deleted files.  I like this method because you wouldn't need any software to get your data back.

jgreen

Re: Long term feature request: backup
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 12:37:33 pm »

Many of us have asked for this feature, and asked again.  In fact Monday morning is the usual time for requesting this feature and/or bumping posts regarding it (Gamer, come in).

In terms of your suggestion I would only add that it should not be limited to backing up and cataloging optical media.  Many of us do periodical backups to hard drive, and it would be a (seemingly) simple thing for jriver to add the capability to link library tracks to their corresponding backup and enable auto-rerstores when the original is missing. 

However, it does not seem to be high on their list, although IMO it would be a "wow" feature exclusive only to MC.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 12:54:37 pm »

What you are asking for seems to be an incremental backup ?

Tape drives do this job very well but come with a price tag to match. So nstead usings DVDs and want MC to keep track of stuff.

If this becomes possible then you could travel back in time, load up an earlier library and recreate the exact media underneath with just MC.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 02:21:11 pm »

Hard drive backups are simple and I have that taken care of with SyncBack which finds new files and updates old ones.  As I've talked about elsewhere in this forum, I have 2 complete offline backups for my main data and 1 for my video.  I just think for those who are not as willing to spend an extra $700 on backup drives and have fewer files that might fit on a reasonable number of DVDs, this feature would be great.  I personally don't really need it a whole lot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up