INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tech Support: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum  (Read 5411 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Tech Support: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum
« on: August 21, 2006, 03:21:22 pm »

I know this is somewhat of a strange question but this is such a helpful forum I figured I'd try asking.  I have the soundcard listed above and it has a remote with it.  I keep reading about how it can turn the computer off, control the volume, etc., but I cannot get it to work.  It did work one time when I was using the Creative software and I could control the audio levels for each channel.

I have another video capture card and tuner that has a remote and I am curious if that would work as well.  I have been considering buying another refurbished PC for our kitchen area and then turning that in to a media center.  How easy would it be to use MC as a Media Center option running on a 2.4GHz P4?  I would love to put a PC in the kitchen to replace my Tivo Basic because I have no way at the moment to play video I have ripped.  It would have to be super simple or it wouldn't fly with those using the system.  I would like to test my computer with the card and remote to see if there is any way to control MC with the remote and then, I would think if I just leave it in theater mode, everything would work fine.

How is recording and getting a guide for television with MC?

modelmaker

Re: Tech Support: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 05:53:18 pm »

Many of us have the Creative RF remote and it works just fine. You do have to install the creative remote software and activate the remote. You don't have to do anything in MC.

With the 2nd pc, I don't know if the remote will operate MC. If it is a "universal" IR remote, it should work, but you need to install a plugin from the plugin page, so you can "teach" MC the remote commands.

The 2.4g/P4 is more than ample to run MC. All you need to do is install MC and do a license restore, (up to 10 a year). You can install MC on any computer you own with the same license.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

benn600

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 07:04:51 pm »

I have installed everything but I cannot get the remote to work--but as I said, it did work for setting the Creative software settings.  That's it, though.  I have pushed every button carefully and have not been able to get it to do anything.  Perhaps I need to have a program running for the remote to work?  I disable all background programs in msconfig.  Is there another CD I should look for with specific software?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 01:27:01 am »

Go to: start menu, all programs, creative, creative entertainment center, entertainment center settings.

you should see the following (or similar, I have an X-Fi card)

make sure there's a tick in "Enable control of windows applications"

So far, I've only got the navigation and [enter] buttons to work with MC, I've had no luck getting the player control buttons to respond.
I *think* the answer may lay at the door of a program called girder....

JONCAT

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 08:17:52 am »

Hate to butt in here, but I just built a system with a ZS card for my brother. Where exactly can one find both the remote & THX console software for this card. The 2 Creative CDs didn't have them, and their set claims I need an earlier version of the THX console before installing the one on the site:

http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp?MainCategory=1&sOSName=Windows+XP&region=1&Product_Name=Audigy+2+ZS&Product_ID=4915&modelnumber=&driverlang=1033&OS=10&drivertype=0&x=14&y=12

Any giudance on this would be greatly appreciated.

v/r
Dr. C

benn600

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 08:05:36 am »

I got the card because it was originally $170 or so and I got it for $62!  That's the only reason.  However, I do enjoy its pristine audio quality and I thought the remote would be really handy.  I had an Xbox (with media center loaded) on my main TV but decided to move it to our eating area so I can watch my video podcasts, look at pictures, watch movies, etc...so I now have to rely on my computer (which is hooked to my TV) to watch videos on my television so a remote would be so handy.  I'll even add it to my universal remote once I figure it out.

I can't find that wonderful control panel, either.  I got about 10 CDs but only one appears to have actual installation software.  The rest are free games.  Should I try any of them?  I don't want to install all of them.  Can anyone recommend one in particular that comes with this sound card?

benn600

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 08:17:05 am »

I found help on Creative's web site but I can't find the start menu icon they're looking for.  I'm going to download the latest version of the driver and install it again, hoping to create the icon I need.

1.  Click on Start, Programs (or All Programs), Creative, Creative MediaSource, and Creative MediaSource Organizer.
   2. Click on Tools and Settings.
   3. Click on the Remote Control tab.
   4. Make sure the option Enable Creative MediaSource Rremote Control is selected.
   5. In the Select this as the remote control transmitter drop down list, select the remote control being used from the following:
          * Creative iR 2000
          * Creative RM-1000
          * Creative RM-900
          * Creative RM-1500 (Audigy 2 ZS and NX, Audigy 4 Pro)

benn600

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 06:58:13 pm »

bump...I can't find the icon Creative says I need to click on.  Any other ideas?  I really want to use the remote.

JONCAT

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 07:05:01 pm »

The control panel installed with the driver is deficient, although it gets the job done...barely. I told my
brother to try the THX console install but I haven't heard back from him. Have you tried it?

What OS are you running btw?

Time to email Creative and complain I guess; you need a serial to get tech support via email.

Dr. C

benn600

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 08:48:21 pm »

I hate using tech support when kind individuals are willing to offer help for free (like me and everyone on this forum).  I am running XP.  The issue is that I installed everything I am supposed to but I can't find a way to control the remote configuration of the remote.  I really want to use it with Media Center!

Feel my pain!  I got an incredible deal on a sound card which is much higher quality than the onboard or cheap pci cards I am used to (over $100 off).  Therefore, I want to take advantage of its wonderful features--like the remote!

JONCAT

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 01:00:00 pm »

I feel your pain, we got the same rebate you did. My brother is too busy to email tech support. Maybe
I'll get his serial and do it myself. Did you try to install that THX software off their site? Maybe try searching your PC
for the name of that icon. Night & day with EMU to Creatve; the Patchmix software is very stable and versatile compared
to Creative's half baked control panel. They give you 10 discs of crap and the software isn't complete, IRRC there is a THX "demo"
on one of the two discs you mentioned...no THX setup panel nor remote control software!

Dr. C
Pages: [1]   Go Up